pinpointing shovel

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think that metal is much better for a shovel, more durable.

For my hunting I would not use a plastic shovel, how would you sharpen it to get a good plug?
I don't know if there is a plastic with identical qualities to metal.

Now if you could attach part of the probe to the shovel like the sunray probes on the detectors, that would be cool. (less to carry)

Regards,
Eu

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
treasureace13 said:
it would detect the shovel.if it was metal.

lol Exactly, but do it like the Sunray and it will only PARTLY be attached to the shovel, ever seen a Sunray?

Think of it like this:

a shovel with the "control box" (on/off, sensitivity etc) attached to it, the detecting part of the probe is detachable meaning it can be taken off from the shovel to scan the ground.

This of course would mean it only would be nessasary to put the shovel far enough away from the scanning probe part.

See my thought?

PS. I'm a studying technician. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Eu

OP
OP
treasureace14

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
Eu_citzen said:
treasureace13 said:

lol Exactly, but do it like the Sunray and it will only PARTLY be attached to the shovel, ever seen a Sunray?

Think of it like this:

a shovel with the "control box" (on/off, sensitivity etc) attached to it, the detecting part of the probe is detachable meaning it can be taken off from the shovel to scan the ground.

This of course would mean it only would be nessasary to put the shovel far enough away from the scanning probe part.

See my thought?

Regards,
Eu
how would i get that built?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
treasureace13 said:
Eu_citzen said:
treasureace13 said:

Think of it like this:

See my thought?

Regards,
Eu
how would i get that built?

Make it in parts, starting with the shovel, what is needed for a shovel?
(i.e should it withstand "harsh use", rusting and so on)

Hey there, that would be your work to figure out no?

If I'd figure it out it would not be your invention, i can give you help and a ideas but can't do the work for you.

A starter would be to look at different ideas, think about many different options and then choose "the best".

Think about different materials i.e stainless steel, steel, plastic etc.

A few hints:
stainless steel is easy to weld but heavy, does not rust if polished after and welding and fairly easy to work with

Steel I have not welded but it's fairly heavy and does rust, needs protective covering (i.e zinc)

And well I have rarely seen a plastic shovel for rough digging, but plastic is easy to work with and some plastics are fairly cheap.

So take your time and think, then look at already existing shovels...
Now try to figure out a good design, maybe make a few drawings and such?

As for the pinpointer's construction, there is my experience limited.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
What about using some of that new fangled carbon Fiber stuff?....NGE

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A plastic shovel for sand, maybe. I tried using a backpacker's plastic trowel (figured I could scoop & wave it past my coil). Did not stand up at all well to the roots and rocks hereabouts.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try digging a deep hole in hard soil with any plastic shovel.......Try digging a deep hole with plastic shovel or scoop in wet sand with shell at a beach......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread