Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Admittedly, I didn't know what is a subscription school; now I know: Subscription schools were funded by a monthly tuition fee paid by the parents to the teachers. In turn, the teachers were responsible for securing a place of study and for paying the rent from their earnings. Because the pay was low, many teachers were women, and they typically received one dollar per pupil per month. Attendance usually lasted a few months because children were needed to help with harvesting and other farm chores.
Jeff, thanks for the 'lesson'.
Don in SoCal

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some history.........
Pennsylvania passed its first School Law in 1824 providing for the election of school directors in boroughs and townships. People across the Commonwealth were largely opposed to this law and it was generally ignored. However, Pine Grove established the first subscription school in 1830. Again, subscription schools were not free schools; they charged a fee for students to attend. School was in session six months of the year; girls attended for six months, boys for three.
Don in SoCal

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If memory & My Understanding of Pine Grove (Schuylkill County) History is right.
The First School in Pine Grove was where the House (parsonage) Sits Now

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread