🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Oregon Sunstones

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chris and I got cabin fever in April, and decided to go over to Oregon, and take a look at the public Sunstone collection area. One of only two places in the world that have clear plagioclase feldspar crystals. On top of that Oregon's have copper inclusions in them that give the gems "schiller" a sort of natural sparkle or brilliance. They're just lying on the ground in plain sight. You can dig for them, or just wander around. The area set aside for the public is 4 square miles of mostly sagebrush. The gems are in some of the basalt, and you find some still in the rock. The big one in the pics is the 53.76 carat monster Chris found. She has better eyes than me...LOL. Though I did find several in the 10 or 15 carat range. Some had more of the red than others, but we were happy with our take, and will go back at some point. Decent campground with brand new pit toilets. A few other people, but not crowded. There's a "pay" mine there, too, but it doesn't open until May 15th.
Jim
P5090001.JPG
P5090002.JPG

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
There are no less than six areas in Oregon where Sunstones can be found. The area you were in, north of Paisley, is but one. Most rock hound books and maps show only two.

I hear there may be a few areas in SW Idaho. Possibly another in northern Nevada.

The fun is in the finding.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 2

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Where to Find Oregon Sunstones​

South Central and Southeastern Oregon are the only areas in the world where the gem-graded sunstones with copper inclusions are found. There are three sunstone productive deposits in Oregon: one in Lake County and two in Harney County. Most locations are within the private mining claims. Collecting on mining claims without the owners' permission is prohibited.
Luckily for rock-enthusiasts, collecting sunstone is allowed in Lake County, 23 miles north of Plush. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) established the Oregon Sunstone Public Collection Area in the Rabbit Basin between the Warner Valley and Albert Rim.
Also, sunstones can be collected on commercial Dust Devil’s, Spectrum Sunstone and Double Eagle Mines, all of them are located near the Oregon Sunstone Public Collection Area.

Upvote 1

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LocationRocks & Minerals
Agate BeachAgate, Moonstone, Jasper, Chalcedony, etc.
Nehalem RiverAgate, Carnelian, Jasper
Priday Agate BedsAgate, Chalcedony, Jasper, Opal, Thundereggs
White RockThundereggs, Agate, Chalcedony, Opal
Carey Agate BedsAgate, Chalcedony, Jasper
Glass Butte Recreational Rockhound AreaObsidian (various types)
LakeviewAgate, Jasper, Geodes, Nodules, Sunstone
Opal ButteHyalite opal
YachatsAgate (sagenitic), Chalcedony, Jasper (orbicular), Moonstone, Geodes
Mt. PisgahAgate, Calcite, Heulandite, Jasper, Malachite, Mesolite, Quartz crystals

Upvote 4
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Where to Find Oregon Sunstones​

South Central and Southeastern Oregon are the only areas in the world where the gem-graded sunstones with copper inclusions are found. There are three sunstone productive deposits in Oregon: one in Lake County and two in Harney County. Most locations are within the private mining claims. Collecting on mining claims without the owners' permission is prohibited.
Luckily for rock-enthusiasts, collecting sunstone is allowed in Lake County, 23 miles north of Plush. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) established the Oregon Sunstone Public Collection Area in the Rabbit Basin between the Warner Valley and Albert Rim.
Also, sunstones can be collected on commercial Dust Devil’s, Spectrum Sunstone and Double Eagle Mines, all of them are located near the Oregon Sunstone Public Collection Area.
Actually, the Spectrum is inside the public collection area. There is one other claim inside, too, but I'm not sure which one it is. I don't doubt there may be some spots in Idaho. A huge chunk of my state is still unexplored as far as gem deposits, especially in the desert volcanic areas where sunstones may be found.
Jim

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are no less than six areas in Oregon where Sunstones can be found. The area you were in, north of Paisley, is but one. Most rock hound books and maps show only two.

I hear there may be a few areas in SW Idaho. Possibly another in northern Nevada.

The fun is in the finding.

Time for more coffee.
Yup....all this is volcanic related to the hotspot which is now fueling the Yellowstone Park area. From what I've read, the actual magma chamber is 150 miles northwest of yellowstone, but the faults that the magma follows slope upward toward the Park. But, this rotation of the crust over that spot has run all across southern Oregon, and southern Idaho, so anywhere in that huge arc could be sunstones, Peridot, and other gems. Geologist wrote that there is a place right near me, where an eruption came up, and there are olivine gems near the center. But, it's extremely difficult terrain, so few people have looked.
Jim

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread