Opossum and Sweet Potatoes

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Here's a tasty dish for some of you that may be snowed in and cannot get to the local supermarket:

1 Dressed Possum (about 2-1/2 lb.)
2-1/2 Teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
Flour
1/2 Cup water
4 medium sweet potatoes or yams
1/4 Teaspoon of salt
2 Tablespoons sugar

Let the possum chill thouroughly after skinning. Trim off excess fat and discard. Wipe with a damp cloth, pick off any clinging hair, then wash quickly inside and out with warm water. Rub the salt mixed with pepper well into the possum; inside and out. Then sprinkle the inside and out with flour.

Lay the possum on it's back in a roasting pan with a tight fitting cover. Add water, cover and bake slowly in a moderate oven (350 degrees) until about half done, from 3/4 to 1 hour depending on the age of the animal.

Split the peeled potatoes in half lengthwise and place in the pan around the possum. Add more water if needed. Cover and cook about 20 minutes longer. Remove cover and sprinkle the potatoes with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the sugar. Continue cooking uncovered until both potatoes and possum are a luscious brown and meltingly tender. 3 to 4 servings.

Now, before all of you unload on me, this is a recipe from a book that used to be my Grandmothers. I use the book all the time and it hasn't failed me yet. (Meta Given's Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking, J. G. Ferguson and Associates, Chicago, 1933)

Unfortunately, none of the possums in my neighborhood will tell me how old they are.

BTW: Gypsy, I've included pertinent information so that you can research this and verify that the book is for real. ;D :-*

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
This may taste good, but I don't like my dinner grinning back at me while I'm trying to eat. (traditionally 'possum is dressed with the head left on.) Bluezman

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This recipe is Coon & Sweet Potatoes...it's in one of my favorite cookbooks Tony Chachere's Cajun Country Cookbook. Never ate it and never will.

;) RR

coon (3).jpg

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Nice try Wes but dont see many takers....
I am thinking I will try it ....but will exchange the possum for chicken....

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandma would tell me about eating opossum during the depression...She didnt think that it was all that bad. In fact she kind of liked it......Steve

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
stevesno said:
My grandma would tell me about eating opossum during the depression...She didnt think that it was all that bad. In fact she kind of liked it......Steve

Blechhhhhhhhhhhhh :P

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a real vengeance for varmints. They've torn the heads off of too many of my favorite pet birds. I would tear into that opossum and sweet potatoes anytime!

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disgusting. With so many other quality, tasty, welcoming meats to eat...who would resort to opossum? LOL

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
That was supposed to be one of Jim Cummins's favorite meal.

A tip: Light a newspaper and let the flames singe all the rest of the hairs off the meat. Works real good. Don't burn your fingers, though!

Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions