Opening doors...Let THEM invite YOU to hunt

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I have found such a great place with so many great people, I thought I would share something with you that has worked out very well for me over the years.
Some time ago, I placed an ad in the Penny Press publications classified ads here in town. Typically, if you run an ad in this type of paper, they have a section that allows you to list your "service" for free if it is a free service. Sometimes the newspaper has a free section, but generally you need to find publications that are directed at classifieds. The ad has never cost me a dime and has put ALOT of silver in my bag. The ad reads:

If you have lost something valuable, made of metal, and cannot find it, I have a great metal detector and can help. Please feel free to call me and I will be more than glad to help you recover your lost item. There is no cost for this service-it is free. John 509-xxx-xxxx.

This has paid off for me in spades. I have made many many friends. I have made a great many people very happy. I gain access to property where no one else is allowed, and am generally allowed to come back any time I like depending on what type of property it is. They remember me, know where to find me, and when they hear of lost treasure or find an area that would be a great scout, they call me. All they are generally interested in is recovering THEIR lost valuable and will let you keep anything else you find. ( With the exception of caches and the like, but if you happen to find something like that on their property and turned it over I doubt they would let you walk away empty handed). Many are old timers...while you are visiting and searching, they almost always have stories of "you should look here or there as I remember back in the 40's they used to use that area as a bla bla bla..." you get the picture. Soemtimes I get a call where they state something like "I heard from a neighbor some eccentric used to live here back in the depression and possibly used to bury items" and they WANT you to come out and nose around...even before you start detecting they are already trying to cut you a deal as to what you will get if you find anything. As an added bonus, I change the attitude towards MD'ers around town...if you represent your sport in a professional manner and never leave a scar, you become "table talk" the next time they have company.
It starts off slow at first, but I tell you now that within the first year you will have had many calls...and it multiplies. Once it has been in there awhile anyone who loses a ring or bracelet and tells someone about it almost always hears the same thing..."oh there is some guy in the Penny Press that will come out and help you look for it for free"
I hope this helps those of you who have troubles finding places to go...give 'er a shot...what the heck, it's FREE!
Dig till ya drop!
Murph

dingode

Mar 28, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea! I actually thought about puting just such and ad on Craigslist this spring. Problem was gas was too expensive to drive anywhere. I mean it. I got out once this year. Thank goodness it has gone down by half here lately. I hope to get out again before the snow flies.

Erin

OP
OP
NWHunter61

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, dingode...I hear you on the gas...depending on the "story" I generally only respond to requests that are very local.
After all, the idea is to put open places on my hunting map that I can go to anytime...

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great idea.
So if someone says "I lost my wedding band somewhere in this area" they probably follow you around watching.
Do you come to an agreement first then that anything else you find is yours?

OP
OP
NWHunter61

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most certainly. It's pretty easy going...You talk a few moments about how you are going to go about your business...let them know that your detector will tell you when your target is on or very close to the surface. Ask them if it is OK, after you have either found the lost item or spent a satisfactory amount of time searching, if you can dig any highly likley targets you have marked along the way (mark them with golf tees) and at that point also ask them if you find coins or whatever if you may keep them. At that point, you almost always get the line you were looking for..."anything else you find you can keep". Always throw in that if you find any type of cache or anything of extrordianay value it will be turned over to them and reward will be at their discretion. That makes them feel a part of the show and generally makes them generous...especially if you find their valuable, which in my experience doing these type of things is 90%+ sucess stories.

S

stefen

NWHunter61 said:
If you have lost something valuable, made of metal, and cannot find it, I have a great metal detector and can help. Please feel free to call me and I will be more than glad to help you recover your lost item. There is no cost for this service-it is free. John 509-xxx-xxxx.

This has paid off for me in spades. Murph

Honesty and honey go hand-in-hand.

OP
OP
NWHunter61

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stefan~ A picture paints a thousand words...but then again, sometimes so do a couple of words. You get it.

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat strategy! It is is cool return stuff to people. Found a class ring after 26 years,lady was estatic! That is reward enough to see the expression on their face! Neat idea!

panelman

Mar 2, 2008
Northern WI.
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV / Garrett GTI 2500
I've too have thought of doing something similar, glad to here it pays off. And in more ways than one.
Thanks for sharing that.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been placings ads similar on Craig's list, I update it twice a week and have got quite a few responses, and it is free!

Zippomann

Mar 1, 2009
Geddes N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX , Garrret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Idea will post on Glist see how it turns out let you know
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread