NYC metal detect permit good at reservoir?

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Okay, here's a question for all you NY'ers. I have a NYC metal detecting permit. It states we can detect in parks and along water. Do you think that would also apply to the reservoirs upstate? The one I was at today states it's the property of NYC. What do you all think?

Sue

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
xenaskm said:
Okay, here's a question for all you NY'ers. I have a NYC metal detecting permit. It states we can detect in parks and along water. Do you think that would also apply to the reservoirs upstate? The one I was at today states it's the property of NYC. What do you all think?

Sue
If you are referring to a NYC Parks Department Metal Detecting Permit, it states what parks in the 5 boroughs you can detect in as well as several beaches. If the location you want to detect in is not mentioned then you have to deal with the powers that be at that location. There's a possibility that the permit may carry some weight in allowing you to detect in areas where you normally might not be allowed but, frankly, I doubt it. Permission may simply rest on that day's mental attitude of the person you are asking and how you approach them.

Silver Fox

ikes4ever

Nov 27, 2007
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 1000 and DFX
i wouldnt mess with those resvoirs upstate there pretty serious about protecting those things

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I can fish the ashokan but no on m/d with my permit.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
xenaskm said:

Sue

That's a big ol no on MDing on reservoir property. I've contacted DEP and reservoir land management and they want "NO DETECTORS" on the property. A bunch of ignorant @$$holes if you ask me. Obviously there are guys that break the rules because I hear about finds coming from all around that Ashokan reservoir all the time. No diving in ANY of the reservoirs, no detecting around them etc etc etc. I heard punishment for getting caught used to be a slap on the wrist and a big ol boot off the property but now if you are caught doing anything against the rules, it is a criminal trespass charge with a possible terrorism rider (ie big fines, significant jail time). Like I said. @$$holes. There are at least two maybe three towns at the bottoms of every single one of those reservoirs with tons of bottles, coins, and artifacts that are just going to sit there and rot because DEP doesn't want anyone getting any freebies from their property. If you want to dive for artifacts and bottles I would try Lake George. I heard people go bottle and artifact diving there all the time. Just don't go near the Rev War Ships. Might get yourself into trouble taking artifacts from there.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
MD Dog said:
Those reservoirs are the drinking water for NYC, so since 9-11, spitting in one will get you arressted. :nono:

Yah. That's why if you are trespassing there is a terrorism rider on the trespass charge. Damn you Osama, you pr!ck. I honestly believe this is flawed thinking. This water is tested, purified and tested again before it is sent for drinking water. Theres a better chance that those 100 year old pipes in the city would harm someone rather than a little stirred up dirt. This country is full of stupid people. Read the quote at the bottom of my postings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread