🥇 BANNER Nice 1798 Large Cent, a Waterloo halfpenny, and lots of buttons

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a half-day off from work this past Friday to start the new detecting year. The year got off to a good start when I dug this 1798 Draped Bust cent at a former home site in the woods. Not a rare date, but it is in nice shape. I also dug this Waterloo half penny or token, which I thought was a Hibernia coin at first. It features a portrait of Wellington, who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. As I understand it, they were minted for circulation in lower Canada. It is in rough shape, but has plenty of detail left to identify it. In addition, I dug 14 buttons, Including what I think is a US Army eagle cuff button, possibly pre-Civil War. Pretty excited about this find, as this is my first button of that type. Any info would be much appreciated. Hoping for low snow totals, as I can’t wait to go back. Good luck out there.

IMG_6471.jpeg
IMG_6481.jpeg
IMG_6490.jpeg
IMG_6488.jpeg
IMG_6505.jpeg

IMG_6521.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 59

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding finds lenmac65! That LC is in fantastic shape. Did you do anything special in the cleaning process?
Love the Waterloo token too. I don't ever recall seeing one posted on this site before. Great start to the new year!
PS- Congrats on all those buttons. That's quite a site you have there. Well done.
Thanks Silvermonkey! No special cleaning method with the LC. I just used a toothpick, holding it almost horizontal to the coin. The front came off easy, while the back was hardened on a bit more. I was tempted to use water or peroxide, but I did not want to lose the highlights provided by the dirt, especially on the reverse. I was unfamiliar with the Waterloo halfpenny, and thought I had a Hibernia like your recent find. I used peroxide on it, as the dirt just wouldn’t budge, especially the obverse. That method did reveal some detail, which is best seen by tilting the coin in the light. The buttons I mostly left alone, though I used a rust remover on the Eagle button, which worked out well in this instance. I attached a pre cleaning photo so you can see. Snow should melt this week, which is fine by me. Good luck out there.
IMG_6468.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice work there Lenmac! I love those DBs that dip back into the 1700s. Also it's been a long time since I have seen a Wellington token posted anywhere. Nice find! I hope you can get back there soon. I got about 5 inches in my part of MA. Just wait until Thursday, it will be all washed away.
Thanks, Jeff. I was definitely psyched to see the 1700s date on that LC, and the Waterloo halfpenny was a first.. Raining now in my area too, which should get rid of the snow. Looking forward to returning to that spot. Good luck out there.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you'll pardon the alliteration, More Massachusetts Miracles! Those finds are simply incredible my friend and I couldn't be happier for you- awesome job!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you'll pardon the alliteration, More Massachusetts Miracles! Those finds are simply incredible my friend and I couldn't be happier for you- awesome job!
Thanks, Jeff! Massachusetts might not always be the perfect place to live, but it sure presents some good detecting opportunities. Hope the snow is gone in your area. Good luck out there.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I took a half-day off from work this past Friday to start the new detecting year. The year got off to a good start when I dug this 1798 Draped Bust cent at a former home site in the woods. Not a rare date, but it is in nice shape. I also dug this Waterloo half penny or token, which I thought was a Hibernia coin at first. It features a portrait of Wellington, who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. As I understand it, they were minted for circulation in lower Canada. It is in rough shape, but has plenty of detail left to identify it. In addition, I dug 14 buttons, Including what I think is a US Army eagle cuff button, possibly pre-Civil War. Pretty excited about this find, as this is my first button of that type. Any info would be much appreciated. Hoping for low snow totals, as I can’t wait to go back. Good luck out there.

View attachment 2124831 View attachment 2124832 View attachment 2124833 View attachment 2124834 View attachment 2124835

View attachment 2124839
so much colonial goodness, wow what a fantastic site good 4 you my friend :)

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! I feel the same way, and love seeing any U.S. coin with a 1700s date on it. High on my bucket list is 1700s U.S. silver, but that seems very hard to come by. Good luck out there.
you will get it, u know how to dig and u are on the right site(s)...make sure to post it ;)
PS- that site seems siftworthy...got a site I need to sift myself but got to build a shaker box first...lol

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you will get it, u know how to dig and u are on the right site(s)...make sure to post it ;)
PS- that site seems siftworthy...got a site I need to sift myself but got to build a shaker box first...lol
Thanks! I am too lazy and impatient to sift 😁. Does look like fun though. Good luck with the shaker box.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! I am too lazy and impatient to sift 😁. Does look like fun though. Good luck with the shaker box.
oh trust me I got the same issues why I haven't done it yet..lolz but thank you figured building the box will be a good winter project then in spring if feeling frisky I'll give it a whirl...more than likely I will just start river hunting when it gets warm tho...happy digz to ya!

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2124831 View attachment 2124832 View attachment 2124833 View attachment 2124834 View attachment 2124835

View attachment 2124839
I think that you should take off more half days from work. Congrats on the great finds!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that you should take off more half days from work. Congrats on the great finds!
Thanks! It was a nice half day for sure. With any luck, I can retire in a year or so, and enjoy some full days detecting. Good luck out there.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, my reply contained "button" but what I found was clearly a halfpenny token.
Thanks for the clarification. I should have taken the time to look more closely at your photos, as I would have seen it was clearly a coin/token - sorry bout that. It is a good one, with a much different reverse side than mine.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there is actually a fairly large group of Wellington tokens that were common in Canada. the history of Breton tokens are quite interesting.

Thanks for the link. I did not know there were different varieties. That would be an interesting collection to put together if I still purchased coins/tokens. Thanks!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is this Canadian token tradition called "Bretons" (Bruh-tauns). There are literally hundreds and hundreds of varieties. Essentially, Britain couldn't be bothered with the currency needs of its colonies so they had to use whatever they could come up with. Canadian collectors go nuts for these and pay BIG money for the more obscure varieties.

this will get you started...

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is this Canadian token tradition called "Bretons" (Bruh-tauns). There are literally hundreds and hundreds of varieties. Essentially, Britain couldn't be bothered with the currency needs of its colonies so they had to use whatever they could come up with. Canadian collectors go nuts for these and pay BIG money for the more obscure varieties.

this will get you started...

Thank you for the info and link. That is an impressive and interesting variety of tokens. This Wellington was the first token from Canada that I have dug; I really like it and would love to find some others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread