New to Metal Detecting - Ottawa, ON

Peter123456

Jun 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

New to the forums and new to metal detecting. I live in Ottawa, ON Canada. My son got a metal detector from his uncle for Christmas metaldetect.jpg like the one in the picture.

So I am looking for some beginner advice on how to set the settings for recreational/beginner use. We ventured out to the local park and decided to search the beach volleyball court. I noticed that the detector was constantly alerting me to 'silver' almost everywhere I moved but we wouldn't find anything. The depth indicated the maximum which seemed odd, or maybe not. I dropped the sensitivity to the lowest setting and the readings were not accurate. Is park sand not considered a good place to search because of the contents of the sand?

I also tried getting the detector to detect my weeding band (14k) and I couldn't get a reading. I also could not get consistent readings for pocket change either?

The metal detector itself seems like a low-end or entry level product but I would think it should still have some reliable accuracy?

Does anybody have any suggestions for the beginner? Settings and techniques?

Thanks for any help,

Peter

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect your setting for disc was to high for it not to pick up the pull tabs or wedding ring. If you can't hear pull tabs you'll miss 90% of gold rings. Ladies rings will read in the foil range. The display is only there as an aid for lazy people, don't trust it. Keep coil low an even to the ground the full sweep, not swing like a grass whip. Over lap your sweeps by 50%.

Welcome to Tnet..JPG

Last edited:

Evilpope

Apr 4, 2016
Griffith,In
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 350, bounty hunter lone star pro, whites trx pinpointer, Garrett ace 400, Garrett pro pointer 2, Garrett AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to metal detecting, it's the greatest hobby in the world. And welcome to Tnet hope you have good luck finding treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread