Need help with a DFX Problem

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was out using my DFX the other day, and I stopped to change coils, and when I turned the machine back on, when I got to the setting of air balancing the machine, it started squealing and then gave a quick message that said "Unable to balance Installing Preset Levels", and wouldn't go on any further. If you do go ahead and pass thru the air and ground balancing sequence, all you get is the machine screaming "Overload", and you can't use it.

I have never ever entered any other programs on the machine, so don't think that is the problem. I read the manual for any help, but there was nothing in there. Even tried pulling the battery out while running to clear the memory, and still no help.

Is the machine broken and will it have to be sent in, or is there something I can do to get it working again.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had that happen a few times.
When it happens hold the coil in the air pull the trigger and
put the coil on the ground in another spot and pull the trigger.
Roger

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rodgerdodger said:
I have had that happen a few times.
When it happens hold the coil in the air pull the trigger and
put the coil on the ground in another spot and pull the trigger.
Roger

I tried what you suggested, without any luck. Should I do it before trying to air & ground balance or after. The damn thing still reads overload. Guess maybe I'll have to call White's in the morning. Thanks for the reply.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok a few suggestions:

After air & ground balancing do the ground balance again. (hold trigger towards you and press enter then release)

If that doesn't help try to use Correlate.
Try a smaller coil and decrease sensitivity or Preamp gain.

"Unable to balance Installing Preset Levels"
That means the detector thinks ground mineralization is very low.

Very odd, if the above doesn't help, talk to White's.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eu_citzen said:
Ok a few suggestions:

After air & ground balancing do the ground balance again. (hold trigger towards you and press enter then release)

If that doesn't help try to use Correlate.
Try a smaller coil and decrease sensitivity or Preamp gain.

"Unable to balance Installing Preset Levels"
That means the detector thinks ground mineralization is very low.

Very odd, if the above doesn't help, talk to White's.

Thanks, after messing with it for about an hour last night, I finally got it to work again. I still don't understand why it happened, as the coils that I was using, I had used on that field before without any problems. I gave White's a call this morning, and they are looking into it, and will let me know what they find.

Thanks to all of you who have shared possible solutions with me.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Care to be more specific what settled it down?

If others have this trouble it would be great if you mention it. :)

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eu_citzen said:
Care to be more specific what settled it down?

If others have this trouble it would be great if you mention it. :)

Basicly, all I did was turn the machine on, and after it was on, I took the battery out of it and it reset itself. Now, it is working on 3 of the 4 coils that I have for the machine. White's told me to do the same thing that I had done. The coil that I'm having the problems with is the new S.E.F. 12 x 10 butterfly coil. My next stop is with KellyCo, from whom I purchased the coil.

goldgrubber

Jan 26, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
Bought a super 12 for my DFX last spring, worked great all year. The first 2 or 3 times I went out this year the frikken thing drove me nuts with constant beeping no matter how many times or how many different places I tried to ground/air balance it. I finally just put the 950 coil back on it and it runs great. So something went haywire with the 12". Just not sure what.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
goldgrubber said:
Bought a super 12 for my DFX last spring, worked great all year. The first 2 or 3 times I went out this year the frikken thing drove me nuts with constant beeping no matter how many times or how many different places I tried to ground/air balance it. I finally just put the 950 coil back on it and it runs great. So something went haywire with the 12". Just not sure what.

Sorry about your Super 12. When I called KellyCo today, they stated that they had never heard of this problem before, but that they would have a tech call me tommorow. Right now, my 950 coil, the Eclipse 5.3, and the Big Foot are all working fine. I only bought the 10 x 12 Bufferfly coil as I was told that I might get some more depth out of it. The few times that I was able to use it, it didn't find any coins that my little 5.3 coil would have found.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you hunting close to a city? Often EMI is a problem for Detech coils.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eu_citzen said:
Are you hunting close to a city? Often EMI is a problem for Detech coils.

Was in a small park in a small town, that I had used the coil in before. Didn't have any problems using it before, but took it off after I got tired of messing with all of the trash in the park. The coil was just too big. Put the little sniper coil on, and used it for sometime, and then when I got to a big area without much trash, went back to Butterfly coil. It hasn't worked anywhere since that time. I did go out for a short hunt yesterday, and tried all of my coils, and they all worked with the exception of the Butterfly. Still waiting on a call back from KellyCo, and will post when I hear from them.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I don't have the butterfly coil so I donno.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread