My video on pinpointing with the Ace 250. Detuning explained.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I agree...everyone with an ACE should see this video

i watched it a few times before i got my detector,and put his tips to the test when i got it...and the info is very helpful as well as help me produce nice finds more often

Shawn

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I'm glad you like the video. I put it together pretty fast. It was my first and so far only vid on youtube. But what I need to add is after you detune your target you can also pinpoint dead center of the coil by X-ing. Another tip is that you can continue to repush the pp button while you moving the coil around the target and get just a very tiny target response. Then center the target left and right then up and down and it's dead center of the coil. Depending on how good you get on detuning the smaller your tone will be and the more accurate you'll become. This not only works for the Ace 250 but most all makes and models. I detune my concentric coils too. Good luck and may your next find be GOLD!

kenozaguy

Greenie
Nov 5, 2007
Forestburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Great video! Very helpful. I never realized that the depth would change the location of the pinpoint. I'll have to practice this weekend. Thanks!

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Keno,
If you detune then X the target it will be right in the center of the coil at any depth. Now if you use the "pull back" method then the location does change. Just like in the vid. Either way is fine. It's really easier to detune and center the target though.

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I watched this now for like the third time. I'm hoping it helps. I just got a 250 and was itching to get it out and hunt. The first couple times I'd get a hit but dig anddig. Trying to figure out how to get more "exact" as some of the spots I've been indicate coins nearly everywhere. Thanks for posting this vid

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Try turning your sensitivity down to 4 bars to start out. Run in the coin mode.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey THANKS! khouse for the video and tips. I've owned a 250 now for about a month and have found (through my own trial and error) that my pp skills are getting sharper when I'm on a real target. This video helped me understand why. I have a couple questions that I hope you or another 250 user will answer.

1. I noticed 2 different methods of pp'ing. The one you showed and an X-ing method somebody else mentioned. Is there 1 you recommend in general? Or is it what ever feels good to the user?

2. I've noticed that i get different readings on the display that appear to be dependent on my lateral distance from the target. What I mean is as I scan over a target (that turns out to be iron or beer caps) I seem to get high coin readings ( quarters or higher) at the coils edge or further and as i close in I get beeps from the low end of the scale. If I try to dig the coin signal (even after pp!) it sorta disappears. No reading in the plug and none in the hole. After rescanning I'm back on the iron signal and that's what the target turns out to be. Basically I've dug 2-3 plugs and recovered a piece of crap lol. I'm worried I'm missing stuff because if i get any low end beeps anywhere near a high end coin beep, I'm starting to skip these targets.

3. I've noticed while pp that I can lift either edge of the coil so it is slightly off the group and adjust the readings. Is this accurate and should I be using it?

Thanks!

Trout

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
1. I noticed 2 different methods of pp'ing. The one you showed and an X-ing method somebody else mentioned. Is there 1 you recommend in general? Or is it what ever feels good to the user?

After detuning you can either PP dead center or use the pull back method. I find myself using both. If you use the pull back method and you have some metal directly behind the target towards your body you might pick that target up. This can give you what you would consider a large target response. So I then recheck with the X ing PPing to check. Sometimes I just PP at the center of the coil. Either way is accurate.

2. I've noticed that i get different readings on the display that appear to be dependent on my lateral distance from the target. What I mean is as I scan over a target (that turns out to be iron or beer caps) I seem to get high coin readings ( quarters or higher) at the coils edge or further and as i close in I get beeps from the low end of the scale. If I try to dig the coin signal (even after pp!) it sorta disappears. No reading in the plug and none in the hole. After rescanning I'm back on the iron signal and that's what the target turns out to be. Basically I've dug 2-3 plugs and recovered a piece of crap lol. I'm worried I'm missing stuff because if i get any low end beeps anywhere near a high end coin beep, I'm starting to skip these targets.

Large targets can be discovered by raising the coil 12 inches over the ground. Then if you get a beep it's likely a can. If you open a hole then your signal disappears then it's probably something you notched out to begin with. Set it to all metal and rescan.

3. I've noticed while pp that I can lift either edge of the coil so it is slightly off the group and adjust the readings. Is this accurate and should I be using it?

Keep trying different things that works for you.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
khouse said:

Large targets can be discovered by raising the coil 12 inches over the ground. Then if you get a beep it's likely a can. If you open a hole then your signal disappears then it's probably something you notched out to begin with. Set it to all metal and rescan.

Thanks for replying, appreciate it. I'm still confused over this point. I am getting good, enticing high sounding coin beeps at the edges of what really turns out to be trashy iron or metal (turns out there is no coin present). IE. I get high beeps near low beeps as I swing the coil. So I pp around the high coin beep, dig and get nothing. DO this all over again only to recover a piece of trash.

I have not notched anything out and am hunting in all metal mode. My sensitivity is at medium level or maybe 1 notch higher. It's certainly not cranked up or anything.

Is this normal? Are other people's 250s reacting the same?

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
You are getting what I call edge or end beeps. Meaning the edge of large iron and the end of pipes and such will give you a good coin beep. Even if they are notched out. Here is a way to tell if it's as such. First raise the coil. If it still beeps at 12 inches it's a large target. Second look at where the discriminate beep is. Meaning if you get a repeatable beep eye that spot. Then if you pinpoint 4 inches away - somethings up? Then go ahead and pinpoint and eye that spot. Then in the disc mode sweep in tiny 4 inch sweeps directly over your pinpointed spot. If it still beeps then your disc and PP mode match so dig. If they don't match it's likely an edge or end beep of some sort of trash. This is not an exact science. Only your digger knows for sure.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks bro. I've only had my 250 for a month so still learning. I did however have my highest clad count yesterday (.87) and then my highest coin total today (16)! So ya me! Will be posting in Today's Finds tonight with pics. Thanks again.

You're right, definately not an exact science! :icon_jokercolor:

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
CanadianTrout raised some of the same concerns I've had. I've been getting easily disgusted as I've found nothing except trash. I read somewhere that Garrett suggests using your detector in all metal mode for the first 100 hours of experimenting. Maybe there is some truth to that..??!!?? I too am still trying to figure this Ace 250 thing out. I'm glad you all have been so kind to us newbies and have presented some good ideas on improving our game. Thanks and hope real soon to post some finds! To all, Happy Hunting and we'll see you on the flip side

mojo

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Khouse.. very cool video and humm maybe ya should make some more using other tectors too eh.. teacher on the net.. god I love it... again thank you :thumbsup:

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Booty,
I'm no expert. I'm just always studying detectors. I mean I try different things and really try to listen to what they are telling me. I have a tip for you with the detector you list under your avatar. Use it where you've hunted with it before. Single tone. Disc at 9 o'clock. Trac on. Sens up to where you get some chatter. Dig any mixed target that in any way gives you a #50 or higher. Even if it's just a bleep. Then dig up you deeper coins. I usually run my detectors HOT. You can tell the difference between chatter and good target.

JCook236

Sep 1, 2008
Oceana, WV
Just found this site and viewed your vid...really helped me out since I've only had my 250 for about 6 months now and still getting the feel of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread