My True Treasure Tale - Long, but the Whole Story.....

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Haven't been on TNet long so I'm just reading this. Awesome story! I agree, you should be a writer! Congratulations on your incredible find! I was thinking bank robbery, train robbery? Jesse James? I take it that the coins are newer than that time period since your talking the Prohibition Era. Forget about the non-believer's, who cares what they think. That company wants your story, sell it to them. Nothing wrong with making somemore retirement money off the find. I'll have to stop prospecting and stamping out my own gold coins and buy a metal detector! Lol! Or go out with Old Dog to find some Spanish Cache! He's awesome on the subject! Anyways, Congrats! Enjoy!

Clay

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, someone asked about the advise we received, some of the more important stuff I'll list, some advise was out of this world and laughable :D.

- Our family attorney recommended too many suggestions, and even typed them up so we wouldn't forget the details!

- Call the few friends I told of the find, and tell them I was "joking around", show them a few silver quarters/dollars and advise them that I was just pulling their leg and apologize for getting them all hyped up.

- Go back to the site and make sure I collect all traces of my presence (cigarette butts, water bottle, tracks, car tracks) and make sure my "hole" was undetectable. Yep, this is when more paranoia set in.

Night Stalker

Sorry but if you were advised to do all this then you were trespassing and actually in reality stole this treasure. That's why it's a hush hush.

And I have a right to voice my opinion so don't hate me for saying what it looks like.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
It wasn't hush hush because of where it came from. I'm sure if the owner had a problem with it he would have pressed charges. Instead he ended up with a lot of money, money he wouldn't have had in the first place. Probably more money then what his property is worth.

armyboy20081230

Greenie
Aug 29, 2013
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This story just gave me goosebumps. Just reading it made my heart race. I can only imagine what was going through your mind. WOW man, this is AWESOME!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because this story was nothing more than an attempt to write the great American novel.
He calls it a treasure TALE...the definition of tale says it can be a real or imaginary story...I hope its real because it is a great tale.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
It's the best story I've read here on Treasurenet. The OP/Author holds it out to be a true story "My True Treasure Tale....", and I, for one, hope it is true. I just like to think that something like that may really be out there, and hence, the possibility that I might find something similar one day.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought it was the real deal until I started thinking about the thick sheets of black plastic that he said were covering the treasure area. The kind of treasure and way it was wrapped says it was buried long, long ago, but plastic wasn't around then. A hole would have been covered with metal or wood.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Thought it was the real deal until I started thinking about the thick sheets of black plastic that he said were covering the treasure area. The kind of treasure and way it was wrapped says it was buried long, long ago, but plastic wasn't around then. A hole would have been covered with metal or wood.

The hole was covered with wood. No one knows how long its been there. It could have been buried the day before he got there, possibly dug up and reburied. It may have been tar paper. I'm sure he was in too much of a hurry to sit there and examine it. If it was actually plastic does that make a difference? Plastic was invented over 150 years ago. Older then the coins he found. So I'm not sure what your point is? Just another nay sayer? Jealous maybe? Who knows? Who cares! The guy knows what he found and that's all matters.

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hole was covered with wood. No one knows how long its been there. It could have been buried the day before he got there, possibly dug up and reburied. It may have been tar paper. I'm sure he was in too much of a hurry to sit there and examine it. If it was actually plastic does that make a difference? Plastic was invented over 150 years ago. Older then the coins he found. So I'm not sure what your point is? Just another nay sayer? Jealous maybe? Who knows? Who cares! The guy knows what he found and that's all matters.

Great story! It really fires me up to never give up looking and trying spots that others may pass up. I really would have liked pictures to back this story up.

justdugcrazy

Aug 6, 2013
I can honestly tell you I WAS THERE!!!!! Not in physical but in mental.When you were recalling about your heart racing and the emotions my goodness man I'm sitting in a meeting room at a govt. Building and my heart is pounding lol...AMAZING JUST AMAZING ONCE IN A LIFETIME..I TRULY ENJOYED YOUR STORY AND HOPE THE MEMORY OF THAT AFTERNOON WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU.I PLAN ON READING THIS STORY TO MY SON AS SOON AS I GET HOME CONGRATS MY FRIEND.THANK YOU FOR SHARING AND ALLOWING MY MIND TO BE THERE THAT GLORIOUS AFTERNOON

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can honestly tell you I WAS THERE!!!!! Not in physical but in mental.When you were recalling about your heart racing and the emotions my goodness man I'm sitting in a meeting room at a govt. Building and my heart is pounding lol...AMAZING JUST AMAZING ONCE IN A LIFETIME..I TRULY ENJOYED YOUR STORY AND HOPE THE MEMORY OF THAT AFTERNOON WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU.I PLAN ON READING THIS STORY TO MY SON AS SOON AS I GET HOME CONGRATS MY FRIEND.THANK YOU FOR SHARING AND ALLOWING MY MIND TO BE THERE THAT GLORIOUS AFTERNOON

I second that! To me, hunting lost treasure is not work, but a fascinating kind of play that sometimes belongs to the world of make believe, until it finally becomes REAL. It has always appealed to me, even as I recognize, some of those around me, don't fully understand my/ your drive and passion for this kind of hunting. I refuse to allow myself to become frosted, starched or too conservative to believe the 'best is yet to come'. I get mutually excited when another finds his/her buried glory. Oh! What fun. There is a real never-never land, and it seems to be right here. Congratulations, to ALL of you to never giving up on the pot of gold at the end of our rainbows!!!

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Hi. Great story that I hope you're not sick of discussing yet. I'm studying the psychology of cache hiding with direct relevance to a hunt that I'm on now. If you don't mind will you kindly describe the proximity of the grove of pine trees to the burned cabin. How far from cabin? Was the grove within sight of the cabin so any activity would have been observed? Thanks in advance. I'm after something similar, I hope.

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story, no matter if true or fiction. In fact if you know history of USA, many Native American Indian tribes were paid their annuity in gold coin, as it was less bulky than paying them in silver. Many of these N.A. did bury their gold coins, for various reasons, and much of it may remain to be found. To me this story sounds much like a N.A. annuity gold coin cache that was secreted back then...and gives me hope.

In accordance with the treaty between the Choctaw Indian and the United States Government, annuity payments were issued on a regular basis from this building. Boats carrying wooden barrels filled with gold coins would float up the Arkansas River until they reached the landing, then would be carted across the remaining miles to the old agency building.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets get this back up top.

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Life happens and I haven't posted on TN for several years but detecting is in my blood so like an old friend, I've come back. Love this story. Thank you NS for sharing it with us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread