Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve owned the Tesoro Cortes for 2 months now and have used it as my main detector during that time. When I first received it via UPS the box it came in looked as though it had been through WW3. The first thing I did was I read the manual and then performed air test on it to see if it had been damaged due to rough handling.

I was getting 6.5” on a dime in Disc mode and sensitivity set on 10; a quarter came in at 8” just barely. I didn’t think that was all that good especially when you hear about Tesoro’s ability to go deep. So I called Tesoro and talked to one of their Tec heads and was told that detectors can go out of tune over time and that since mine was rough handled I should send it in for a tune up. So I did and it came back with a clean bill of health. Customer service was excellent.

Needless to say I still got the same results on my air test after getting it back from the shop. After 2 months of heavy use I would have to say the air test where proven accurate for where I hunt in mild soil.

The machine has many good points. The quality and workmanship are the best. I found that when there’s a small piece of iron and a coin in the same hole it will sound off with a good tone and show a good target at the same time showing iron on the segments scale. I found that it will give you a TDI number of what it thinks the target is and by cross checking it with the segment graph it will tell you how confident it is in what it found. If it lights up 2, 3 or 4 segments that means it’s not sure. I found you still need to dig any good repeatable sound.

I also liked the fact that the All Metal mode and Disc mode where a thumb switch away. I found I liked to hunt in A/M mode and throw the switch over into Disc mode to check a target. The machine is also light and can be swung all day with little fatigue.

What I don’t like about is it doesn’t have pin point feature. I never thought to check before buying it to see if it had a pin point feature; I guess I just assumed a detector in that price range would have one. Let me tell you it can be a challenge to pin point. It took a lot of practice before I got any good at it.

I found the sensitivity setting had very little affect on its depth either in the field or during air tests. I didn’t find A/M mode to be any deeper than Disc mode. I had to put it in boost mode before I noticed any really change in depth but unfortunately the detector became unstable.

Hunting even a moderately trashy area meant swinging very - very slow with the stock coil and Sens turned way down. If you don’t it would miss most targets.

The depth read out was so inaccurate after a while I wouldn’t even look at it and would just go off the strength of the sound to determine the depth. Which lead me to wonder if the depth read out is so far off how accurate can the graph and ID numbers be? I never really found the SUM feature to be of any real help in ID’ing a target.

Overall I would say it’s a very good coin shooter but in today’s market I feel it’s over priced and that a fair price should be in the $300 - $400 range.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you would have been better off with the Cibola. It has a pinpoint button on it but most folks don't use it because "X"ing with the Cibola works great. It's also a tone machine but I never trusted screens too much anyway. The Cibola also runs on a pretty high frequency (over 14 kHz) which makes it really good on gold (now if I could only find some!).

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
Blockhead, you didn't say where the Threshold was set. The Threshold setting is important, it needs to be turned up somewhat, if it's at minimum then you won't hear weaker signals whether your in Disc mode or All metal mode. I set it at a barely audible tone in All metal mode, then I switch to Disc mode and start searching, or it can be set slightly louder. Have my Cortes 4 years now. In disc mode air tests it gets a dime at 7" with a solid 4 way signal, a quarter at 8", same as my Fisher ID Edge. I use the SUM mode at times to double check the meter when I need to. My depth guage is accurate, you gotta use a dime to test it. When i'm searching I almost always use the depth guage when I get a target, I like to compare the depth reading with the signal strength, that helps me determine if it's a small deep item. I only have one complaint about the Cortes, it doesn't have tones like the Golden does. On the Golden you don't have to press a switch to get tones. I have to look at the meter a lot on the Cortes. All in all, I like the Cortes. I like the Golden too, tones are great.

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I set the threshold in A/M and then ground balance. When in Disc mode the ground balance is factory preset.
You can super tune the detector according to Tesoro's web site by turning the threshold all the way up in Disc mode and turning up the sensitivity into boost mode. But once again it became unstable for me.
I won't lie I was a little disappointed by it's lack of depth and it was given a clean bill of health.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might wish to crank the sens beyond 10. It seems that sensitivity is not linear and going over 10 can gain you a couple inches more. On another note, my Vaquero beat the cortes on a dime by an inch.

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can super tune the detector and gain an extra 1 - 1.5 inches. The machine would become completely unstable.

Turning the sen knob seem to have little affect on the machines performance.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a very "deep" machine (imo) but the lifetime warranty and service can not be beat. I'm forced to keep my sensitive turned down to a minimum, or it becomes erratic, it has some good features and bad. I have the Cortes for a back-up, it rarely get out of the bag anymore.

The one major thing that disappoints me about Tesoro is the fact they're still using technology from 5-8 years ago - times change, technology changes incredibly fast, they need to upgrade their processors, sensors and probably everything else inside the top end models.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the Cortes deeper then the Golden uMax, but not as deep as the Tejon. But, on the subject of depth, I was out today with the Tejon, and I dug some ridiculously deep holes. Luckily I was in an area where this was acceptable, but in a park or school yard, I wouldn't dare dig that deep. It would raise too many eyebrows. I would say for coinshooting, in school yards and parks, the Cortes has all the depth you would ever need. For relic hunting in farmer's fields, maybe not.

Dan

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I love my Cortes. I have absolutely NO problem pin pointing, the object is in the center of the coil. I have picked up a dime at 8 inches in the ground. i like the sum feature as it "double checks" a target, I switch over to it for a couple of swings to see if the target is a high, mid or low tone. I personally dont look at the TID or depth so much as I listen. To each his/her own but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
I haven't found gold yet but my guess is I haven't passed that coil over gold yet. Plenty of silver, silver rings, a 1900 V nickel, civil war bullets and buttons etc etc.

john glassman

Apr 16, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I very surpised to hear the good point's and bad point's about the cortes. I have to say i used cortes since came out and found some great finds and stocked coil is not so great . I use a 7 1/2 widescan coil kicks butt on the machine i have stabbed deeper then fisher f75 in a open feild. ps the soil in your area plays a key role on how your machine operates.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Blockhead, I have been using a Tesoro Cortes I picked up used a few weeks ago.
I am getting the same results as you but with the sharpness of the response I have no problem pinpointing a target.
The target ID is a bit hard to see in the daylight and the ID number is so small.

They are like all other Tesoro's ... some run hotter than others ...
and it is the luck of the draw as to whether you get a hot one or not.

I will be selling or trading off this one sometime soon as it just is not what I am looking for in a detector.
If it had three or for ID tones I might have considered keeping it around for a while longer.

Willee

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Willee said:
I am getting the same results as you but with the sharpness of the response I have no problem pinpointing a target.
The target ID is a bit hard to see in the daylight and the ID number is so small.

I will be selling or trading off this one sometime soon as it just is not what I am looking for in a detector.
If it had three or for ID tones I might have considered keeping it around for a while longer.

Willee

It does have different ID tones, simply toggle the "sum" swith over and it will give different tones for different metals.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
shanegalang said:
Willee said:

Willee

It does have different ID tones, simply toggle the "sum" switch over and it will give different tones for different metals.

You are right about that Shane, but if Tesoro had intended the user to hunt in that mode why did they make it a spring return switch. It really slows me down to find a target then stop flip the switch to hear what tone it has.
And it is just two uncomfortable to hold it over with my thumb while I hunt with it.
I guess I could rig a rubber band or something to hold it in that position
Or ... I can trade it off and get something more suitable to me.

Not saying it is a bad machine ... in fact it is a decent detector ... I just prefer tones as these old eyes aint as good as they used to be at seeing them small numbers in bright daylight.

Willee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions