Most likely pareidolia?

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I found this little guy while creek walking yesterday. Iā€™m guessing it is just a chunk of sedimentary rock that has seen a lot of erosion.
I picked it up because it resembles a petrified clam. When in doubt, I nearly always bring them home. Thatā€™s what the moss rose rock garden needs; more pebbles.

Attachments

• IMG_2036.jpeg
    IMG_2036.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    457 KB · Views: 29

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like glacial quartzite to me. Youā€™re in a glaciated part of IA. Although quartz is very hard, the matrix holding quartzite together is not and it tends to get smooth and rounded after a trip south in the glacier. Itā€™s not that difficult to peck and polish it either. The banner is one I made from quartzite I got out of the glacial till.
IMG_2267.jpeg
IMG_2268.jpeg

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
It looks like glacial quartzite to me. Youā€™re in a glaciated part of IA. Although quartz is very hard, the matrix holding quartzite together is not and it tends to get smooth and rounded after a trip south in the glacier. Itā€™s not that difficult to peck and polish it either. The banner is one I made from quartzite I got out of the glacial till. View attachment 2106041 View attachment 2106042
I tapped mine very lightly with a tack hammer. It split into 3 chunks. The center was fine, yellow powder. Looked like crushed sandstone.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Kinda cool looking, Blackfoot, I would have kept it also. Nooooo! Iā€™m not trading! Lol
By the way, have you seen my rock garden? I keep a lot of rocks! šŸ˜›

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Kinda cool looking, Blackfoot, I would have kept it also. Nooooo! Iā€™m not trading! Lol
By the way, have you seen my rock garden? I keep a lot of rocks! šŸ˜›
Me too. Iā€™ve been a rock hound since I was little. I fill decorative bottles with the smaller stuff. This is the current one: lots of quartz, granite, agates and chalcedony. šŸ‘šŸ¼

Attachments

• IMG_2042.jpeg
    IMG_2042.jpeg
    842.8 KB · Views: 8

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Me too. Iā€™ve been a rock hound since I was little. I fill decorative bottles with the smaller stuff. This is the current one: lots of quartz, granite, agates and chalcedony. šŸ‘šŸ¼
I love that idea! I donā€™t know my rocks very well. When I first got on the site, the only one I could easily identify was rose granite. The reason I knew that one is because of all the rose granite laminate that went through the shop. Lol. Waiting for the day this shatters. šŸ˜œ

Attachments

• IMG_4142.jpeg
    IMG_4142.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I love that idea! I donā€™t know my rocks very well. When I first got on the site, the only one I could easily identify was rose granite. The reason I knew that one is because of all the rose granite laminate that went through the shop. Lol. Waiting for the day this shatters. šŸ˜œ
We put a layer in the bottom of a container like yours; about 1/3 full.
Then we put a wide-base candle on the rocks. The rocks stabilize the candle and looks good.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tapped mine very lightly with a tack hammer. It split into 3 chunks. The center was fine, yellow powder. Looked like crushed sandstone.
Maybe A million year old Yellowed Pearl that turned to Powder :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread