Lost my best permission.

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
They call it progress. And so I arrived at my favourite and most productive permission only to find portacabins, diggers, skips and a mass of hardcore rubble stacked directly on top of where I found a Henry III silver penny less than a year ago.
Medieval hotspots like this one are rare in my neck of the woods in north west of England as back in those days marauding Scots tended to cause havoc and so it less inhabited than further south and safe.
It hasnt just produced medieval goodies bit also nice finds through the centuries and was obviously inhabited throughout. Elizabethan and Stuart coins. A rare Ceylon rix dollar silver coin from 1821 and a nice world war one royal field artillery badge. Musket balls have always been plentiful too, I dont mind collecting them and never left without at least a couple.
I'm just gutted to be losing it having only had it just over a year. I like to think I've done every inch but it keeps on producing none the less, an Edward I (1300-10) silver penny only the other week.
Anyway If any of you guys fancy a flight to Manchester and a couple of hours drive im happy to share this permission over the coming weeks...days?? 😫 God knows. Just dont be mad at me if you get here and they've started putting houses up though.
Never will I let someone say that metal detecting is pillaging history. Without me and my coil this past year some of that history would have been lost forever. My finds have been recorded and archaeologists can now be at least aware of historical activity in an area no one knew.

A few finds off there....

Attachments

• Sawcollec.jpg
    Sawcollec.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Tokens2.jpg
    Tokens2.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 16

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, those were some great finds! Good thing you saved them while you had the opportunity! New opportunities always follow as old ones end and good things never last, that's why they're so good, because they're hard to find and even harder to keep!

OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Keeps producing though time is running out as more hardcore has been dropped. Pulled this out this morning though, 1572 Elizabeth I sixpence.
I'll keep going till the bitter end and the offer is still open to anyone to come join

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 5

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the recoveries made so far.
The lead matrix seal is nice.

Sorry to hear that the site is under development now, have they started to clear the dirt as of yet?

OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Congrats on the recoveries made so far.
The lead matrix seal is nice.

Sorry to hear that the site is under development now, have they started to clear the dirt as of yet?
It's a meadow next to an old farmstead with dilapidated buildings.
They're currently dismantling some old sheds made of breeze blocks and they're dumping that into the meadow. From what i can gather theyre building over the former sheds and putting one big fancy housr in the meadow. Though where exactly i dont know so I'm treating it like it's all going.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear it, really. I was detecting a vacant lot or two when a walker by accused me of "stealing", well...that vacant lot I was stealing from is now covered in a nice thick layer of asphalt, with cars parked on it, safely protecting unknown treasures for "Future Generations".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread