Lost Lead Mine Near Sparkman, Arkansas

Cactus_Cache

May 6, 2007
After having previously spent several years in Arkansas, I learned some of the local stories of the Sparkman area. One of these stories invloved a lost lead mine located along the Ouachita (Washita) River about 4 miles west of Sparkman, in Dallas or Clark County.

I became interested in this story and sought to find the old mine site. I looked sporadically for around 12 years. I learned of the stories from several older residents of the area including C. J. Leamons who lived near Shakertown between Arkadelphia and Sparkman, Mookie Pigg who lived in a community called "Pigg Town", located near old Vaden and Nix Ferry that joins Dallas and Clark Counties near Sparkman, Sid and Sally Watson who are now deceased and used to operate a Citgo Service Station in Sparkman. Oops, there is one other person - Jack Willis who is also deceased. All of these people told me the story consistently. The story follows...

Early settlers used to go up the river (or down the river for about two miles or less to an embankment that contained a lot of lead galena ore. They would cut the ore off and bring it back with them to use for lead fishing weights and other uses. I also heard the mine was a single room cave along the same route. I looked high and low and did not find geology that would be consistent with a process that would form lead or other metals, although, nearby on two large hills, I do find the geology. I suspect that if such a mine exists, that there must be a beginning and an end. It is possible that the site used by the old Indians and Settlers could have been at the "Pinch". I witnessed three pieces of Galena Ore supposedly taken from this deposit by the witnesses. I asked them if the could show me the location and they were all old and brought me to the generial vicinity but could not pinpoint the location anymore. This was some years ago.

Has anyone ever heard this story and if so, do you have any available information?

I also heard a story headline but cannot find information about the "Lost Field of Silver" located near Ouachita, AR, just down the road on Highway 8 towards Camden from Sparkman. It would be in the same general vicinity.

Any information helpful! Thanks in advance. If anyone else is interested, I can provide links to the topo maps showing the location(s) I have been searching.

Regards,

Cactus_Cache

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread