Looking for info on a coin I found today on the beach in NC. TIA!!

dianediane

Mar 20, 2024
IMG_5715.jpeg
IMG_5715.jpeg
IMG_5716.jpeg
IMG_5717.jpeg

Upvote 11

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tourist souvenir (copy), the raised lip around the edge is a major red flag.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup plated pot metal. I found a tiny part of one on a beach in New Jersey. I remember when my aunt went to the outbanks when I was a kid she brought me back some treasure map with some replica cobs. Still have them in a little treasure chest along with a replica 1739 8 real.

OP
OP
D

dianediane

Mar 20, 2024
Yup plated pot metal. I found a tiny part of one on a beach in New Jersey. I remember when my aunt went to the outbanks when I was a kid she brought me back some treasure map with some replica cobs. Still have them in a little treasure chest along with a replica 1739 8 real.
Thanks! That is a nice story. Somehow people throwing them in the ocean just to possibly fool someone decades later, but likely never, didn’t compute. But I can totally see kids dropping or burying them in the sand. Now I just need to find a chestful! We’re in Topsail, maybe it washed down here from OB.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! That is a nice story. Somehow people throwing them in the ocean just to possibly fool someone decades later, but likely never, didn’t compute. But I can totally see kids dropping or burying them in the sand. Now I just need to find a chestful! We’re in Topsail, maybe it washed down here from OB.
Thanks for the post DD.
I would have soiled myself if I found that.
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread