OP
R

rockTexas

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I have been hunting artifacts all my life. For the past 6 yrs, I have been hunting on two different sites and they both have multi-sided (some six worked sides) tools using heat treated flint and chert. There are so many tools and completely worked pieces at these two sites it is hard to find areas where there are just flakes or cores. There is evidence these were not migratory people based on the size of the site and the mass amount of tools found. It has taken a long time for me to realize some things but after so many years and finds, I realized there is more to them than at first sight. Many of the tools were carved to expose a trilobite or other fossils or crystal. These fossil shapes are worked into the shape of an animal. There are 6 sided tools with an animal on each side. Some the same animal but not all. Bird heads with crest, sitting birds, bison, bears, horses, sloths, and a few other species. These images are not heavily carved out of the side of the rock but are finely carved with low profile. Almost without exception, these rocks have a very flat side (sometimes two), that they sit on. Other sides may be somewhat flat, but usually you know when you sit it on the right side. Most animals are carved on all sides, some are standing. They do not vary as far as how they look. They all have the same style basically. Horse heads typically have their mouths open. Bird heads always have an eye on both sides. These two sites are just nothing like anything I have seen in my 45 years of artifact hunting. Some of the tools come out of the ground very greasy. Lots have the remnants of biological matter, some are very shiny (heat treated), all are worked on every side. Lots are based on a six sided slab of about 1" thick. From this slab they carve some animal shape which is determined by the color of the stone, the fossils or crystals inside. The density of this type of worked tools is beyond comprehension. There are very few pieces of naturally chipped flint or chert until you get a long way from the site.

My question is, have any of you come across a site like this where that have this type of tools, heat treating, fossils, and animal figures? I can post pictures but you need to see several with similar content to believe what you are seeing is not an accident. I did not believe it until several years of bringing stuff home to realize the similarities.

I wish I could describe these two sites better. If you have questions, please ask.

Please keep in mind that these are all very well worn pieces and they are worked on all sides. Some are animals by their shape and others have more carving. Many have a trilobite or other fossil as the main point of the carving. In other words, they find the fossil first then finish the tool based on use of the fossil and the shape of the original rock. The site is not a migratory place. There are just too many years and number of artifacts to have been a place to stop by. There are very few flakes or cores on this site which is very unusual. Lower down on the hillside nearer the river, there are some but they appear to be from other causes and not flakes by man. I am sure there are some there somewhere. This site is over a mile long (that is as far as I can go with permission). These items are not right on the rivers edge, but rather up on the hillside and most of the ones pictured are from the top of the hill. I have some that are better examples that came from the side of the hills, but I will have to find them. I have bins full of the artifacts from this site and there are some that are better examples of the carved animals on the sides. More later.
View attachment 2093688 View attachment 2093693 View attachment 2093694 View attachment 2093695 View attachment 2093696 View attachment 2093697 View attachment 2093698 View attachment 2093699 View attachment 2093700 View attachment 2093701 View attachment 2093702 View attachment 2093703 View attachment 2093704 View attachment 2093705 View attachment 2093706 View attachment 2093707 View attachment 2093708 View attachment 2093709 View attachment 2093710 View attachment 2093711 View attachment 2093712 View attachment 2093713 View attachment 2093714 View attachment 2093715 View attachment 2093716 View attachment 2093689 View attachment 2093690 View attachment 2093691 View attachment 2093692

OP
OP
R

rockTexas

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I have been hunting artifacts all my life. For the past 6 yrs, I have been hunting on two different sites and they both have multi-sided (some six worked sides) tools using heat treated flint and chert. There are so many tools and completely worked pieces at these two sites it is hard to find areas where there are just flakes or cores. There is evidence these were not migratory people based on the size of the site and the mass amount of tools found. It has taken a long time for me to realize some things but after so many years and finds, I realized there is more to them than at first sight. Many of the tools were carved to expose a trilobite or other fossils or crystal. These fossil shapes are worked into the shape of an animal. There are 6 sided tools with an animal on each side. Some the same animal but not all. Bird heads with crest, sitting birds, bison, bears, horses, sloths, and a few other species. These images are not heavily carved out of the side of the rock but are finely carved with low profile. Almost without exception, these rocks have a very flat side (sometimes two), that they sit on. Other sides may be somewhat flat, but usually you know when you sit it on the right side. Most animals are carved on all sides, some are standing. They do not vary as far as how they look. They all have the same style basically. Horse heads typically have their mouths open. Bird heads always have an eye on both sides. These two sites are just nothing like anything I have seen in my 45 years of artifact hunting. Some of the tools come out of the ground very greasy. Lots have the remnants of biological matter, some are very shiny (heat treated), all are worked on every side. Lots are based on a six sided slab of about 1" thick. From this slab they carve some animal shape which is determined by the color of the stone, the fossils or crystals inside. The density of this type of worked tools is beyond comprehension. There are very few pieces of naturally chipped flint or chert until you get a long way from the site.

My question is, have any of you come across a site like this where that have this type of tools, heat treating, fossils, and animal figures? I can post pictures but you need to see several with similar content to believe what you are seeing is not an accident. I did not believe it until several years of bringing stuff home to realize the similarities.

I wish I could describe these two sites better. If you have questions, please ask.

Please keep in mind that these are all very well worn pieces and they are worked on all sides. Some are animals by their shape and others have more carving. Many have a trilobite or other fossil as the main point of the carving. In other words, they find the fossil first then finish the tool based on use of the fossil and the shape of the original rock. The site is not a migratory place. There are just too many years and number of artifacts to have been a place to stop by. There are very few flakes or cores on this site which is very unusual. Lower down on the hillside nearer the river, there are some but they appear to be from other causes and not flakes by man. I am sure there are some there somewhere. This site is over a mile long (that is as far as I can go with permission). These items are not right on the rivers edge, but rather up on the hillside and most of the ones pictured are from the top of the hill. I have some that are better examples that came from the side of the hills, but I will have to find them. I have bins full of the artifacts from this site and there are some that are better examples of the carved animals on the sides. More later.
View attachment 2093688 View attachment 2093693 View attachment 2093694 View attachment 2093695 View attachment 2093696 View attachment 2093697 View attachment 2093698 View attachment 2093699 View attachment 2093700 View attachment 2093701 View attachment 2093702 View attachment 2093703 View attachment 2093704 View attachment 2093705 View attachment 2093706 View attachment 2093707 View attachment 2093708 View attachment 2093709 View attachment 2093710 View attachment 2093711 View attachment 2093712 View attachment 2093713 View attachment 2093714 View attachment 2093715 View attachment 2093716 View attachment 2093689 View attachment 2093690 View attachment 2093691 View attachment 2093692
I give up. You are just not open to what I am telling you here. Whether you can see it in the pictures or not, these rocks have no surfaces that do not show being worked. There are no sharp edges like you find in a natural break. I have thousands of the same shapes and animal shaped rocks. They are worked all over and some have been reworked. Maybe my photos are not clear enough for you to see or maybe you have not been exposed to this type of site artifacts. I have hunted artifacts for a long time and have lots of pretty arrowheads, grinding stones, etc. like all of you. This is different. It did not occur to me until I had been visiting this site for a couple of years that what I was finding had certain distinctive characteristics. Surely you can see the rusty like signs of biological matter on some of them. Most of these are very polished. I was a doubter too but when you find thousands of pieces that you have never found before and every one of them have certain common characteristics, you eventually cannot deny that these are not typical of the type found in the past in Texas. The world of archaeology is changing. If you compare the rocks I have found to those that are Danish or French, they are exactly the same type of rock, tools, and the same type of worked pieces as have been found there. I know the difference in regular rocks and rocks that have been worked. These are worked all over and many are used so much that they have a very polished surface. I don't know if I saved it or not, but I found an article by a past archaeologist that noted the same distinct characteristics that I have found. He referenced the fossils and that the tools included some form of animal shapes on every worked tool found. I never thought that what I was finding at first was much of anything although they differ from all the things I had found in the past. But after 10 years of visiting two sites with the exact same type items, I realized there was much more to the artifacts and that no other site I have been to had the same type pieces. I have been to 100s of sites, dug down 8' when I was younger, and have a lot of the type of tools and arrowheads you see from Texas and surrounding states. This is much much older. I am guessing closer to 20,000 years ago possibly more. What I have found in the past are much more recent artifacts. The people who made this were well established, the tools are well used and show much wear. many of the tools are multifunctional. In my opinion, they had not learned the fine tooling seen in later years, but had tools that were useful for the time period they lived in. The fact that so many have been carved around fossils and crystals did not occur to me for a long long time. It was only when I was packing up a bunch that I attempted to put them in boxes with others that were similar. My kitchen bar is 8' long and I lined up all of the same ones in a row. I could look down the row for 8' and see the same shape of animal from one end to the other. There were only slightly smaller versions. Most of the tools I find are made to sit flat on a surface. Unless they are chipped or have been broken, they all sit upright perfectly. I was not a believer at first. I am going to send some off to be authenticated and see what the experts say. The site I have been going to is not the first one of its kind in the US. There are a couple of others that have been found in recent years like the two I found that are from the same group of people. History is going to have to be corrected because these sites do not follow what has been published in the past. Forget the coming over thru Alaska, people were here much earlier than 16,000 years ago. Maps show the evolution of how bodies of land used to be connected and over time they separated. But the rocks and techniques used are exactly the same as those are labeled Danish. Down to the color variations and shapes. You could not discern tools found in Texas from those found and labeled Danish or French. Personally, I find this so much more rewarding because they are so much earlier and defy what is written.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the description it sounds like pareidolia.
I believe that has an effect on many who wish to take up searching for artifacts in the beginning. My wife wanted to try her hand at it once. After I informed her of what she found wasn't anything of real significance, she kind of lost interest in doing anymore artifact searching with me. She just said everything you find is wonderful and great, but everything she finds is nothing. She was feeling offended I guess when I was unimpressed with what she was finding, but that's a whole other matter altogether.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that has an effect on many who wish to take up searching for artifacts in the beginning. My wife wanted to try her hand at it once. After I informed her of what she found wasn't anything of real significance, she kind of lost interest in doing anymore artifact searching with me. She just said everything you find is wonderful and great, but everything she finds is nothing. She was feeling offended I guess when I was unimpressed with what she was finding, but that's a whole other matter altogether.
Yes, the secret is training your eyes to look for real artifacts and not just interesting rocks with natural patterns and shapes that catch your eye. I took my son with me one day when he was young, we were walking a creek that I found lots of points in, I saw a nice point in the center of the creek and left it there for my son.

We walked back and forth over it at least a half dozen times as I kept saying, let's check here again, he never saw it. I finally stopped him and said look At your feet, it was completely uncovered in about 4 inches of water. After a couple trips of not finding anything he got bored and didn't want to go, and I wasn't going to force him to go.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
My last hunt I came home empty but if finding fakes was a good thing I would of scored at least 5. So many rocks can look like something until you pick them up and give them a closer examination. They splash really well.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what would they do with these (tools)? Only edges on a few so you really couldn't do anything with them, PLEASE EXPLAIN!!!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the secret is training your eyes to look for real artifacts and not just interesting rocks with natural patterns and shapes that catch your eye. I took my son with me one day when he was young, we were walking a creek that I found lots of points in, I saw a nice point in the center of the creek and left it there for my son.

We walked back and forth over it at least a half dozen times as I kept saying, let's check here again, he never saw it. I finally stopped him and said look At your feet, it was completely uncovered in about 4 inches of water. After a couple trips of not finding anything he got bored and didn't want to go, and I wasn't going to force him to go.
Indeed you need to develop a visual filter if you have any hope of finding that petunia in the onion patch. I was really stoked on getting out and finding lots of treasure with my first metal detector I purchased in the 1980s. It wasn’t long before I figured out, I just might not have what it takes to be successful at that activity. Long ago I had it sitting on the passenger seat at a Walmart parking lot the last I saw that MD. I went into the store but failed to lock the doors. When I came out I noticed before I opened the driver's door it wasn't there anymore. That's what really nipped it in the bud for me and metal detecting. My father and son activity that never succeeded in blossoming was ice fishing.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
One could have been struck on each side from the back. Why would be another question all together. Going with the o.p. and 20,000 years ago let's call it an atlatl weight or something.
The other thousands might turn up another deliberately looking flake or two.
Or the pictures piece could have got fractured by other means. Many have. More will.

Tiny micro tools. Hands not subject to stresses our hands are? Luxury time to work stones for a gazillion hours. No carpel tunnel if individuals are tasked with minute detail on thousands of stones.. And if not a guild , who suggests all members of a society sat around doing nearly invisible stone carving????

No lung dust issues polishing knapped stone so well it can't be told that it was knapped?.
No , no pics of polished stone either like slates elsewhere.

No fragments in eyes from busting rock. No blooded then infected fingers.
No problem isolating from others so not to involve them or thier feet in debris.
Just merrily cranking out thousands and thousands of micro art pictures.
Including material with hidden fossils inclusions!

My recovery counts are going to skyrocket seeing what I've been ignoring in the field.
If my heart can take the being on a thousands count pile if I find one maybe human worked piece.

picture44-jpg.2093696

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread