Large Cent and buttons

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This week I searched the former homesite where I recently found a half real. Early in the search, I dug this 1820 large cent. I was not expecting a coin when digging the hole, as it gave off mainly a mid-tone with only a sporadic chirp of a high-tone, probably due to the ox shoe that was in the same hole (no photo). The reverse cleaned up easily, but the dirt was solidly crusted onto the obverse. Also dug five buttons, a tack of some sort, and a good size round ball or musket ball. Thanks and good luck out there.
IMG_7050.jpeg
IMG_7051.jpeg
IMG_7063.jpeg

Upvote 29

Martyo

Apr 23, 2024
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites DFX, Fisher CZ, JW Fisher
This week I searched the former homesite where I recently found a half real. Early in the search, I dug this 1820 large cent. I was not expecting a coin when digging the hole, as it gave off mainly a mid-tone with only a sporadic chirp of a high-tone, probably due to the ox shoe that was in the same hole (no photo). The reverse cleaned up easily, but the dirt was solidly crusted onto the obverse. Also dug five buttons, a tack of some sort, and a good size round ball or musket ball. Thanks and good luck out there. View attachment 2148828 View attachment 2148829 View attachment 2148830
What a great group of finds- The buttons are beautiful! That is what I would call a very successful day of digging!!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yet another outstanding hunt here in Mass- the reverse of that Matron is so sweet- Congrats neighbor!
Thanks! I barely touched the reverse, as most of the dirt came off with the swipe of a thumb. It does look nice. I wish I could say the same for the obverse. That dirt was hardened onto the coin. I am lucky it came out as good as it did. Good luck with your hunts!

wvrick

Sep 27, 2010
Salt Rock,WV
Detector(s) used
Manticore, XP Deus, CTX 3030, E-Trac, Whites V3i, DFX, Fisher CoinStrike, Garrett AT-Pro, Explorer XS, Garrett GTI-2500 Pro, Fisher F2, and Whites Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3 (Hip mt), Fisher CZ7a-Pro

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week I searched the former homesite where I recently found a half real. Early in the search, I dug this 1820 large cent. I was not expecting a coin when digging the hole, as it gave off mainly a mid-tone with only a sporadic chirp of a high-tone, probably due to the ox shoe that was in the same hole (no photo). The reverse cleaned up easily, but the dirt was solidly crusted onto the obverse. Also dug five buttons, a tack of some sort, and a good size round ball or musket ball. Thanks and good luck out there. View attachment 2148828 View attachment 2148829 View attachment 2148830
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread