birdcage.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 505

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm not a jewelry person...but that is really nice! Great work! That wire wrapping looks like a very tedious job....you sure do have lots of patience!!!

I want to refinish my granddaddy's rocker...only small pieces of wood (where the hands rest and at the top on the two edges)...the rest is fabric. Called the Lenior Furn Co (of NC)...but they don't make that chair anymore and said they don't have that fabric any longer :(. Chair was made in NC and bought in NYC.

Nani bought it for Granddaddy just before I was born...before 1956. He use to rock me in it and I rocked my kids it in :)...would love to restore it and rock my future grandbabies in it!! Hope to see this chair passed down.

Any ideas? I can post a pic of the chair if you wish to see it! I want to replace all the fabric with as close to the original pattern as possible!!!

Thanks,
Annmarie

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Annemarie,
that is gonna be a tough one.. you'll just have to try to find the closest match or a new material you like.. I really will be suprised if you match it... shame isn't it... but ya never know.. lemme know and yes I would love to see a pix of it..

also on the chainmaille bracelet I posted, I also made the rings myself out of 16 gauge sterling wire... I make the coil, cut it...tumble it to get the burrs off and make my pattern.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here are 3 shots of granddaddy's chair/rocker. It is in very bad shape and sits in my room. I have it wrapped in plastic (which I took off to take the photos, except for the seat cushion...the foam is really dry-rotted!).

I tried to get a good close-up of the hand rest, which you will see the fabric I wrapped packing tape around it. My nephew and his friends were over. My nephew made a hole in the arm where the fabric was dry-rotting and starting pulling out the cushion stuff...his friends followed and were throwing it at each other. When I came in the room...well, what I said can not be said on here...so I'll let you use your imagination!!!!!!!!!!  >:( ...I was so.....so.......so....LIVID!!!!!!!  >:( anyways........

Then I took a shot at the wood along the side at the top...the pic I took, you can see where the wood has been nicked somehow...mostly likely in one of my many Navy moves!!! And I took a shot of the fabric..which you probably could see pretty well in the other photos.

I also took a pic of the tag still on the chair under the cushion. I wish they had written in a delivery date :(. All I know is it was bought before 1956...heck it could have been one month before I was born, I just don't know the exact date, I only know I was not here yet :).

It's not much of a chair to some...but it's awful special to me and I want to refinish it and pass it down to my daughter. My mother was granddaddys only child, I was his first grandchild (granddaughter) and my daughter is my only daughter and my first...so it seems fitting she should take it...however, if she does not want it, my boys can decide who would love to pass it down for me :)

Thanks for looking.

Wow...you make rings like that too? You really do have alot of patience!!! Would love to see more pics of other pieces you have made...my mother use to make jewelry back in the 70's...but nothing like that!

Thanks and have a great day!!!!!
Annmarie

Attachments

• 103_1610a.jpg
    103_1610a.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 490
  • 103_1615a.jpg
    103_1615a.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 455
  • chair 1a.jpg
    chair 1a.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 487
OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, looking at the fabric, you should be able to get as close as possible to that design, hit some fabric stores.. and by all means..redo it..and get comfy in it..very nice chair

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rae, I love your designs of jewelry...I remember the necklace & earrings on your mug shot and had asked you about them. I wish I could do stuff like that...believe me I tried. I did have a little thing making earrings & pins out of buttons. My favorite was the ones that look just like the buffalo nickel. There's a store called The Turquoise Coyote that sells the beads and everything you need to make necklaces, earrings, bracelets & stuff. That place is always packed with people who make jewelry.

Yes, I would love to see more of your designs.

Ann, remember the old sewing machine seat I redid? I spent more time trying to remove 3-4 coats of paint...I brought the fabric at Fabrixx Outlet, I googled it and the only place I see it on the WWW is the same place I went too. The place is just fabric for curtains, upholstery, pillows and such...no clothing material at all. I'm sure you will be able to find something...check Hobby Lobby too. Good luck!

;) RR

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks River Rat... I do remember..lol... I will post more..that chainmaille bracelet is called the birdcage design or bzyantine design.. it takes hours to make those... not bad for a person whose half blind,and uses trifocals and a magnifying glass to make it all... I just had to realize I wasn't wonderwomen anymore, so I had to learn to slow way down, since my eyes sustained serious damage from the graves disease, as I lost my sight years ago for 6 months.. I dont think I can handle that again..

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I love the chainmail! Where did you learn about it? Books? Classes? (I'm hoping some was online... ha)

I do some with beads (stones) and really enjoy it. But I feel a new one coming on - "french beaded flowers" - dating from way back when, when a grandmother sent me a kit for it while I was still in grade school! (she had high expectations... oh well). I wound up using the beads for "flower power rings" once the 60s were in full swing. Crazy.

I'd love to see more of your jewelry!

Nan

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I love to do..make something totally from scratch.. I bought a genuine strand of 6-8mm faceted sapphires.. and made this for myself.. out of sterling wire and bali beads.. it does need to be cleaned as I havent worn it since detecting... but here it is..

the bottom one is faceted garnets... a drop necklace.

Attachments

• DSCF4926.JPG
    DSCF4926.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 457
  • garnet.JPG
    garnet.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 442

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Oh, that is pretty!

I love that "spiked" spacer. I've used it on a couple of things, but not as much as the basic "daisy" bali bead.

Ooooh! I just saw the Garnet necklace. Love that stone. I haven't done as much with chain as I'd like, I think it intimidates me.

What kind of fasteners do you usually use? toggle, lobster claw - or ??? Or simply make it large enough to fit over the head?

Off to see how badly some of my stuff needs cleaning. Hope I can figure out the camera quickly... ha

Rats, will have to check for more pics later,
thanks for posting those! They're just lovely!

Nan :D

What gets me is that the pictures are never as nice as it is in real life, dangit.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use lobster claw clasps, I also use toggle clasps.. I use just about everything..... lol

T

trish76642

bootybay said:
heres one of the links I learned off of..
http://www.enioken.com/
I just looked at that websight, pretty jewlry on there!
Ive always wanted to make my own jewlry bootbay, but where do you purchase the sterling silver? Do you order it off the internet? Wondering would the big craft stores sell it?
Beautiful Bracelet by the way! Bet it took for ever to make?

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm glas you posted pics of your jewelry Rae! You are really talented, I wish I had time to work on learning a new talent like yours. How long have you been doing it?

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cyn.. and trish n sara.. I get my wire all wholesale ( tax id number needed) I buy it from monster slayer.com.. I buy from several different companies..some have better deals then others.. I usually buy 100 ft at time, the more ya buy the cheaper it is..

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I love that bracelet. I've got to get you to teach me how to do that. Gorgeous stuff Rae.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread