mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
look up hematite, kinda looks like it. & OMGosh!! I love Crested Butte. Is the hot springs still open there?

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, a method you may or may not have the materials to do: Pulverize a small sample. Boil for a couple minutes in dilute nitric acid. When solution is cold, decant off and add a pinch of common table salt and stir. If the solution turns milky white and settles to the bottom, drain acid and wash with distilled water. Boil for a couple minutes in distilled water. Anything remaining is PROBABLY silver.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be Galena.......

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always seem to have trouble distinguishing pyrite from galena photos.

Galena
JC4719GalenaOnWurtziteHuanzala.jpg

Pyrite
pyrite32425a.jpg

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was those lined striations on the facets of the cubes that's the clue to my assessment as what it might be. It does look a little grey though. Plus maybe some patina being exposure to the air I'm thinking. Years back I sorted thru the mine dumps in Leadville Colorado. I took samples to an assay office in Alma Colo. that was open back then. The guy gave me tips on what to keep an eye out for. Rich ore samples would be lost off the ore cars or put aside from the mine tailings dump for some reason or other? I think also some new hire muckman would get confused over what was good stuff over waist, thinking he'd get allot more hell if he diluted the mill with waist, so to be on the safe side, he'd just dumped the whole car in the tailings. Who's going to know? and for $2.50 a day it wasn't worth getting canned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread