I Got the Date On Shield Nickel

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, guys, I believe I finally found my most valuable coin. The Shield nickel I found yesterday is 188?. The 1, 8,8, are perfectly clear,but without damaging the nickel, the final number looks to be a "0". Years ago, I found a V nickel that I could see the date fresh out of the ground. That V was 1885! But, before checking my Redbook, I cleaned it with ketchup soak. It delaminated for lack of a better word. I ended up with nickel sized slug. I am soaking this one in olive oil and will not do anything aggressive. Google "1880 Shield Nickel". It is a shocker!

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your sheild nickle! I've only dug 1 soo far & it's a 1865 stars & Ray's variety. Love the sheild nickles.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, guys, I believe I finally found my most valuable coin. The Shield nickel I found yesterday is 188?. The 1, 8,8, are perfectly clear,but without damaging the nickel, the final number looks to be a "0". Years ago, I found a V nickel that I could see the date fresh out of the ground. That V was 1885! But, before checking my Redbook, I cleaned it with ketchup soak. It delaminated for lack of a better word. I ended up with nickel sized slug. I am soaking this one in olive oil and will not do anything aggressive. Google "1880 Shield Nickel". It is a shocker!
Would love to see a picture of the obverse. Maybe we can help imagine what that last digit of the date is…!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! You've got a heckuva find there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread