How To Make A Good Whitetail Billet

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iā€™ve seen a lot of beginning knappers acquire a shed antler billet for knapping. They will work okay on glass or high quality flint. The problems with shreds are several. First, most sheds have their working end at a 45Ā° angle to the main beam. Once you shape the end, you donā€™t have much material of use before you hit the spongy pith. A much better way to utilize whitetail antlers is to obtain an antler from a skull. The extra material between the antler and the skull plate is called the pedicle. Itā€™s good and hard and gives you more meat on the business end. This is one that I cut off of a skull.
IMG_4336.jpeg

Next, you need a way to work it down. I use an angle grinder mounted in a Work Mate vise with a coarse sanding disc.
IMG_4382.jpeg

I ground down the burrs on the main beam first.
IMG_4383.jpeg

Next I shape the end.
IMG_4384.jpeg

The next two pics show how much ā€œextraā€ you get on the business end of your billet by adding the pedicle.
IMG_4394.jpeg
IMG_4396.jpeg

Now I can stain it with potassium permanganate and sand the high spots. A nice billet for the tool kit, but what is it good for?
IMG_4398.jpeg

A small billet like this is good for taking the last set of flakes off of a big blade. Or, flaking a small spall or biface of high quality flint. What itā€™s not good for: You wonā€™t be testing nodules in a creek with it. You wonā€™t be making big bifaces with it, especially from raw tough flint. A small billet is for working small flint.

This is a spall of Harrison Co IN flint. Itā€™s arguably the highest quality flint in the Midwest. Iā€™ll try to make a dart point from it with the antler billet, a pressure flaker, and abrader.
IMG_4400.jpeg

Start by abrading sharp edges. Crush the edge back to get to thick material. Then, pick out the natural platforms, grind them, and remove flakes.
IMG_4401.jpeg
IMG_4402.jpeg
IMG_4403.jpeg

IMG_4404.jpeg

Each set of flake removals will leave a ridge between scars. Follow the ridges, grinding platforms above the ridge.
IMG_4406.jpeg
IMG_4408.jpeg

You have two edges and the base on each side. Thatā€™s 6 edges to remove flakes from. Go after the thickest areas first. Remove flakes, then use abrader to knock off the overhang left after flake removal.
IMG_4413.jpeg
IMG_4414.jpeg

Iā€™ve only used the billet and abrader up to this point. Iā€™ve now run out of natural platforms. To proceed, I need to use the pressure flaker to build platforms.
IMG_4415.jpeg
IMG_4416.jpeg

IMG_4417.jpeg

Make your platforms below the centerline and go after thick areas. Work all 6 areas, going after the worst first.
IMG_4418.jpeg
IMG_4419.jpeg

Iā€™ve now got the thickness down and ready for pressure flaking to finish edge and notching.
IMG_4421.jpeg
IMG_4422.jpeg

IMG_4423.jpeg

If you look at the flake scars on the above pic, you can see they run from upper right to lower left. These are the flake scars of a left-handed knapper. Me! A right handed knappers scars would run upper left to lower right. Iā€™ve only seen a very few points I could attribute to a left-handed Indian.

IMG_4425.jpeg

This is all the debitage from making one 2ā€ point.
IMG_4427.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4424.jpeg
    IMG_4424.jpeg
    734.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you plan on doing all aboriginal knapping with whitetail antlers, obtain the biggest one you can find. Get one cut from a skull with the pedicle. Whitetail antlers are generally too light for my liking. Bigger and heavier is better. One of the best whitetail antlers I ever owned was made by an old knapper from Carlyle IL. He drilled a half inch hole in the end, filled it with lead shot, then made an antler plug and epoxied it in the end. I made dozens of points with it until it finally split. He called it a loaded billet and it really worked well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an antler billet dug on the Willow Branch Site by arkie Stan Ahler, who was with the IL State Museum at the time. Itā€™s very short and looks like it was from a shed. It was given to me by the landowner of the site, James Maddox from Niantic, IL. I donā€™t remember the time period that the site was used.
IMG_4429.jpeg
IMG_4430.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread