How Old? How Can Ya Tell How Old A Bullet Is?

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just how can one tell how old a bullet is? You would think I would know that by now. :P

Like I found two of these bullets today...

100_0570.jpg

You see those little lines inside the rings? Does that mean these bullets are not that old?

And the size of the hole in the bottom? Does that mean anything?

100_0571.jpg

Thanks! ;D Nana

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
I believe you have two fired minie balls. I also believe that if you had a mated pair that hit each other in flight and were still attached you would have a very valuable find. congratulations, siegfried schlagrule

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
I believe you have two fired minie balls. I also believe that if you had a mated pair that hit each other in flight and were still attached you would have a very valuable find. congratulations, siegfried schlagrule

I must disagree. These are not minieballs. They are more modern.

-Buckleboy

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I have to agree with Buckleboy on this. The knurling (diamond pattern) is used to hold the bullet lube. It's about twice as effective as a regular groove. Picture a pancake w/syrup vs. a waffle with syrup. ;)

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! Thanks ya'll! :)

OK...next question... ;D

Knowing that these are 'not that old'...how old is 'not that old'? When did they change?

Last question..bear with me here...I'm learning... ;)

Keeping in mind that CW bullets had no lines in the groves, I am supposing that the groved lined ones were next generation? And after that model, were these?

Lines going up the sides....

100_0576.jpg

Thanks for the info! :) Nana

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
Hey! Thanks ya'll! :)

OK...next question... ;D

Knowing that these are 'not that old'...how old is 'not that old'? When did they change?

Last question..bear with me here...I'm learning... ;)

Keeping in mind that CW bullets had no lines in the groves, I am supposing that the groved lined ones were next generation? And after that model, were these?

Lines going up the sides....

Thanks for the info! :) Nana

Nana,

Someone will help you with these--but it unfortunately won't be me. I know my CW relics pretty darned well--but above and beyond that, I'm kinda dense... :-\ I even had to ask about that 1850 Model Belt Plate I found. I knew what it was, but didn't recognize when it was from--just because it wasn't quite Civil War. I'm sure someone will come along with more information soon.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Nana, I'm not a ballistic expert but if you're refering to these lines (see pic)...those are rifling marks. The rifling grooves cut into pistol and rifle barrels to cause the bullet to rotate while traveling down the barrel and give the bullet more stability and accuracy. Someone else might be able to tell you what manufacturer made those based on style. Each manufacturer had their own unique style, Winchester, Colt, S&W, etc.

Attachments

• nanabullets.jpg
    nanabullets.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 905
OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BB. :)

And thanks Stoney. :)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great thread Nana and I'll bet many of us have wondered about this. Thanks for taking the time to ask.

I always wonder about the age of my horseshoes and other relics.

Badger

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
From the size and the cannulae on the projectiles, I would suggest that there are .38 caliber hollowbased wadcutters. If you weigh the lead it should weigh between 140 and 160 grains. This is a usually a target round that has a flat point that punches nice clean holes in the paper target. As to the age, the bullet design came about around the 1930's ~ 1940's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread