✅ SOLVED How old are these square head nails?

hillbillyhunter

Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nailslabel.jpg

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About the only thing I know for sure is that they quit using the square nail (other than for horse shoes) around 1900.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually, the "widespread" use of square-nails for housing construction lasted a few decades longer than 1900. I own a house in Richmond whose walls contains a mix of square-nails and "modern" nails. It was built in 1926. Its main wooden frame has only modern nails. The internal trim (baseboards and etc) has the square-nails.

Upvote 0

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
One reason that carpenters kept using square nails is that there is less risk of splitting the wood that is being nailed.

FWIW, some traditional woodworking enthusiasts still try to use square nails on some projects for that reason.

Upvote 0
S

stefen

Quite common until the early 1900's and possibly later, depending on the region.

These same nails are currently available thru Rockier Stores, Woodworking Stores, Austin Hardwoods, and other specialty lumber and hardware stores.

I have a supply for repairing antique and specialty furniture.

Upvote 0

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Quite common until the early 1900's and possibly later, depending on the region.

These same nails are currently available thru Rockier Stores, Woodworking Stores, Austin Hardwoods, and other specialty lumber and hardware stores.

I have a supply for repairing antique and specialty furniture.

I have a stash too.

I built an old school style tool box out of some 70 year old clear pine that my uncle scrapped out of a remodeled home, and used square nails to hold it together. It turned out beautifully, the clear pine is stunning, and the square nails add a perfect touch.

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97,
I understand and appreciate your description of the 70 year old clear pine tool box you made using square nails for strength, little to no splitting and the final appearance enhancement of the box! I also pull more from between the lines of your description and I understand that as well. Nicely done!................63bkpkr

Upvote 0

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
clovis97,
I understand and appreciate your description of the 70 year old clear pine tool box you made using square nails for strength, little to no splitting and the final appearance enhancement of the box! I also pull more from between the lines of your description and I understand that as well. Nicely done!................63bkpkr

Thanks, man!!!

I really enjoyed building that box.

I still, after 10 years, haven't stained, varnished or finished the surface in any way. That clear pine is just too beautiful to cover! I should probably consider putting a few light coats of boiled linseed oil and turpentine mix to help protect it, but I never take it outside, and it sits in a nice, dry area.

That material came out of a home that the US Army built during WWII to serve as housing for officer's families. It was random width sheathing hidden under two layers of siding. The widths of the material ran 16 inches to 20 inches with lengths up to 20 feet long, and was as clear as any material you have ever seen.

The trees that the lumber was cut from must have been magnificent and majestic, and I've often wished, while looking at that tool box, that I could have seen them standing in the forest.

Upvote 0
S

stefen

A coat or two of pure Danish oil finished with a buffalo wax coat and rub each with a dry Terry cloth...

Better yet use your hands and a finish of warmth will result...

I'm building a toy box from reused white oak planking with nothing but joinery...the finish will be authentic ammonia (horse urine) for the classic craftsman appearance...and will use several coats of Danish oil and black buffalo wax...

Enjoy your box, finished or not...

Upvote 0

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Items 1, 3, 4 , and 5: appear to be forged rose head square nails, dating from the 18th through early 19th Century.

Item 2 & 6: appear to be machine cut square nails, dating from about the mid 19th Century through early 20th Century.

Item 7: appears to be a tack, similar to those used in furniture of the 18th through 19th Century.

Item 8: appears to be some type of fastening pin. The uniform width and thinness of material would not lend well to being driven by a hammer.

Item 9: appears to have a head style consistent with hoof shoe nails of the 19th century. The length is a bit longer than noted with most shoe nails.

Additional References On Nail History:

History of Nails

The History of Nail Making

System for Dating Country & Primitive Furniture

The Tale of Old Nails

CC Hunter

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One reason that carpenters kept using square nails is that there is less risk of splitting the wood that is being nailed.

FWIW, some traditional woodworking enthusiasts still try to use square nails on some projects for that reason.
You can also solve the wood splitting problem by tapping the point of the nail. with the hammer head, this stops the wood splitting also. I believe square headed nails are still in use, when the nail head needs not to be visible, like on polished floorboards.

SS

Upvote 0

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot of farmers who could operate a forge, built their own nails. Forged nails are usually square. I know my granddad built all of his own nails up to the 1950's.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread