492.4 KB · Views: 455
  • theboys 004.jpg
    theboys 004.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 435

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear tattooedmomma;
From the photo you've so thoughfully provided, the dedication seems to state "Por mon fil Raoul" which when translated into English means, "For my son Ralph". If the dedication were written as "Por mon FILS" then it would translate into "For my SONS" as the word FILS is the plural form of the word FIL, or SON in English, just as the word SONS is the plural form in English.
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
tattooedmomma

tattooedmomma

Aug 5, 2008
Thanks so much. Any odea on the artist? Can you see what is written under the inscription??

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear tattooedmomma;
It looks like the numeral 6 followed by the date "12/63". Oh and the word is not spelled as POR, it's spelled as POUR. I am starting to forget how to spell in French, it seems... :'(
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear tattooedmomma;
Artist signatures are most generally placed in the lower right hand corner of the work in question. It's quite rare to find an artist's signature in any other location. The photo you've provided does not show the right hand side of the print. Is there any more writing on the work?
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear tattooedmomma;
OK then, is the artwork an actual pencil drawing or a print of a pencil drawing?
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
tattooedmomma

tattooedmomma

Aug 5, 2008
I looked through a jewelry loop and the drawing is a print so is the inscription. The numbers 424/500 are in pencil.. Thanks so much :headbang:

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear tattooedmomma;
OK, now we are making a bit of progress ma'am. The print numbers are almost exclusively annotated in pencil, whereas the rest of the print would be from a printing press. The numbering system is the artist's signature of sorts and most generally it is the actual artist who numbers the prints. Since I have a lead on the year of the print in question I can now research all known numbered prints from the year 1963 to around 1965.
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
tattooedmomma

tattooedmomma

Aug 5, 2008
I found out through Bonhams that its a picasso repro. I wonder why its numbered in pencil and not signed? What do you think?

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tattooedmomma said:
I found out through Bonhams that its a picasso repro. I wonder why its numbered in pencil and not signed? What do you think?
It looks like picasso's hand writting by why not sign? is it matted? if so maybe sig. is under matting :icon_scratch:,Just my 2 cent's worth. :read2:,HH ALL!
Maybe Matisse? These books are very good&they are online also,you can do some sample searching unless you pay then you can look through thousands of results,Good Luck!

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 372
OP
OP
tattooedmomma

tattooedmomma

Aug 5, 2008
Thanks for your input! It is matted so hopefully there is a pencil signature under it!! I would like to find out the name of the drawing. Seems hard when there are tons on the the internet...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread