Help With This Silver Chinese One Tael Coin

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
ok ladies and gents..... A friend of mine bought (6) of these Chinese Tael coins...... he found them in the world coin book.... according to what he thinks is correct:

it is .8770 silver.... 1.0631oz.

1 Tael=35-38 grams or $46.00

price ranges from 110.00-3000 depending on condition......

There were 648,000 minted.....

Can anyone decipher the Chinese symbols on the back or tell me anything more about this coin. He wants to sell all (6) of them.

UPDATE>>>>>>>>>UPDATE>>>>>>>>

The coin failed the magnet test.... thusly it is a fake..... thank you all for the help and insight about this coin... T-NET is awesome!

Attachments

• tael1.jpg
    tael1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 15,344
  • tael2.jpg
    tael2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 13,636

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Empire. Hu Peh Province. 1 Tael, 30th Year of Kwang Hsü (1904). Small Chinese legend includes regnal date above a dotted circle inscribed Kwang Hsü Yin P'i, K'uping 1 Tael below. Rv. Twin imperial dragons pursue Pearl of Wisdom, I Tael at center. Kann 933, Y.128.2. Struck at Ch'ing Chow, though the quality of the die work led the late Wayte Raymond to assert that the coins were struck at Osaka, Japan. Some researchers suggest the dies may have been cut at Osaka. Faint red-gold toning, delightful strike define this example. About Uncirculated. Hammered price: $1,600.00.
If this is your coin: Congratulations; you've got a great winner!!!
Source: http://www.stacksarchive.com/viewlo...==&PHPSESSID=6653d43957c6a80ff63580ace7700761

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I am going to tell you what........ mine sure looks EXACTLY like that one!!!!!!!!!!!! The ending price on it was 1600 BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy who brought it to me has (5) other ones.......... man he gave 5 bucks each for them at a thrift shop............ 5 BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why cant I ever come across something like this?? Now I need to figure out how to sell them for him................thanks for the info man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beware of counterfeits coming out of china. They are professional counterfeiters for sure.

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Minton, as BCH suggested above, the coin might be a counterfeit. You may wish to consider submitting one of those coins to a reliable authentication company. If the result is a valid coin, submit the rest. If not, beware they may all be counterfeits.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Are they silver? The picture looks like silver. Any pawn shop can test.

Upvote 0

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with BigCypressHunter! There are many fake cast copies of these coins. The easiest test is to see if they are magnetic. If they stick to a magnet they are not silver. The next test is to check their weight and ensure it is within range.

Good luck!

HH.
Moe

Upvote 0

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minton7,

Sorry about your coin!

There are a lot of fake chinese coins being sold at flea markets and tourist shops. Watch out for the ones with the dragon (yuan=dollar)! Check them with a magnet before you buy them.

HH!
Moe

Upvote 0

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, look at Update under first posting by minton7.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread