shroompics

Greenie
Aug 13, 2009
Sunriver, OR
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been researching the history of a few of the emigrant trails that came to Oregon and California, like the Oregon Trail and some of the branches of these, like the Barlow toll road, Meek's Bypass, and the Free Emigrant Trail. When the going got really bad, the emigrants would have to ditch everything that wasn't an absolute necessity to lighten their wagons so their oxen/horses/mules wouldn't die. When they were attacked or threatened by Indians, often they would bury valuables to keep them out of the Indian's hands. There are many books and first-person accounts of these travels available online in Google Books searches that are no longer copyrighted and can be downloaded for free as PDF and text files. I was curious if anyone has MD'd along any of these or other trails.

C

coloradocav

Many people, including myself have been detecting along these old trails for years and years. research is key. good luck!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coloradocav said:
Many people, including myself have been detecting along these old trails for years and years. research is key. good luck!
Many,Many people!!!!

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
River Crossings are in most all cases very old and were traveled from before the beginnings of our nation. I have hunted several crossings and found relics, Spanish coins, US coins, minnie and musket balls, and buttons from the war of 1812 and CW. The travelers sometimes at high water had to camp nearby and wait for the water to go down before crossing. There was always the folks that owned and worked the ferry that lived nearby. The trails were in many cases worn deep and steep(near the river) and would be moved over in time to start a new trail. Wagon trails, horse trails and foot trails can all be found when you know what to look for.Research your local library in the History and Geneaology Section.Not many old timers left to talk to, but they may help uncover some of the hidden info that is always in the local history ,legend and family history. GoodLuck! Cass

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try hooking up with Trail West Inc. outfit
Emigrant Trails West, Inc.
or the Oregon California Trails Assn.
OCTA : Oregon-California Trails Association
They welcome new members with (money), a love of history and use a metal detector...!

Now, I've been detecting on Passport In Time projects (U.S.F.S. and BLM)
Welcome to Passport in Time
over eight years, and can vouch for that outfit, as an excellent place to find
old stuff, learn a lot, while walking those traces of our past....what a privilege!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a pretty cool book about where to emigrate in the United States, it is from mid 1860 and full of maps and details on routes and stopovers etc.Here are a few maps from it.

DSC00021.JPG DSC00027.JPG DSC00033.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread