Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today, the place has been stingy with the points lately but I found this flake and it’s a totally new material. I don’t find anything this translucent, some initial thoughts, knife river? A brown obsidian? Glass? … the knife river would be out of range, obsidian too and I don’t know if it comes in this color, glass is unlikely I think, it shows classic flake signs previous scars on one side ripple marks on the back, there is a bit of an inclusion and it was found in a 3x3 hole with the rest of the flakes pictured… any chance this looks familiar to anyone?
IMG_9804.jpeg
IMG_9809.jpeg
IMG_9810.jpeg
IMG_9811.jpeg
IMG_9813.jpeg

Upvote 5

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looks like the agate that comes from around Yellowstone. Similar color to KRF but from a different source. I’d just call it western agate as a catch all name. Much higher quality than that pile of grainy flakes!

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Nice flakes.

No idea about the source of that flake. ToddsPoint could have nailed it.

it's not unheard of that flint flakes can be found hundreds of miles from the outcrop source.

Here in Indiana, I find flint from Ohio like Flintridge, coshocton, and upper mercer. From Missouri I find a lot of burlington. Southern Indiana Jefferson flint and Harrison County flint. Western Indiana Attica chert.

When I lived in the Ozark foothills one of the first points I found was made of Indiana Harrison County flint.

One thing I do like to do when relic hunting is pick up flakes and at the end of the day, inspect the different flake sources I had found.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They definitely liked that white grainy stuff at that spot. I like to look at material in flakes too, most spots have the same general ratio of materials, this one is definitely different, it’s got high amounts of material that’s scarce in other spots and som like this one I haven’t seen. Makes me wonder if it’s a group with ties in a different direction, I’d guess most stuff is from Missouri Arkansas and Oklahoma. I’m beginning to suspect maybe this area has ties more north and west. Here’s my attempt to sort them
IMG_9825.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread