Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The storms are late in arriving today so I thought I’d pop out into the yard and have a look. Wasn’t disappointed. Nice red one, want to say lanceolate but a little preform ish too. The bottom is well formed the tip pretty rough. Either way it’s been a long time since I pulled a full tool. It’s funny how points can pop up in places you’ve walked 100 times.
IMG_9877.jpeg
IMG_9864.jpeg
IMG_9867.jpeg
IMG_9868.jpeg
IMG_9869.jpeg
IMG_9873.jpeg

Upvote 10
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it’s an odd duck I’m trying not to fall in love with the idea it’s a paleo lance just incase it’s not… would be my first paleo. I agree it looks like it has an impact fracture.

So I’m thinking on the side of preform, it’s probably more common than a lance point, it doesn’t show a lot of fine edge work and its heat treated usually a later trait

On the side of lance, it has a fairly well defined base, the top is a little wonky but the material also gets a little iffy up top, the impact fracture, and the shape… preforms usually mean notching later, I don’t see how you would notch this not just by shape but by the geometry of it, it’s a pretty thick blade with steep edges, pretty tough to notch
Still thinking on it. sometimes excitement makes it hard to see a piece clearly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread