Gold Bug Pro

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got a GB Pro and I must say I'm really liking it. It's target recovery is fast, at least compared to what I'm use to. Dual processors, and the things so light it's like playing air guitar :laughing9: ...or I guess that would be air detector. I got both the 5' coil and the 11" DD's. If you get one you'll want them both. Tried the 5" DD tonight. It worked really well in a nearby trashy park. I really couldn't have covered ground any faster than I did with the sniping coil, because you can swing the Goldbug fast and still hear every target go off. The ground balancing seems very good. You set Ground Bal manually in All Metal, then flip over to Disc mode, it's automatic after that, unless you want to reset. So far I have just practiced with it and learning it's target responses. I have got good signals and dug everything from 1/8" pieces of wire and small lead shot, to costume jewelry, coins, kitchen faucets and bicycle brakes! :laughing7:.... Diggin' a lot of signals I know are junk but at this point it's research. I have a feeling this detector would work great for Relics, though I haven't hunted with it in All Metal yet. Love the Vbreak Discrimination. Anyone else got one? Share with us what you have learned about the machine. I'm driving an hour away in a few days to put this over a property I have permission on. It's a good spot., I've just hunted it once quick... but I didn't dig a single coin older than 1959. Most of it has't been searched so I'll run this new detector through there. Just waiting for a warm day and some softer ground..

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
I can say in my mild ground the ID is very accurate.
You don't lose much depth even with higher Disc.
I set my Disc in the mid 30s at relic sites.

OP
OP
Cleetus

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think my ground is a little more mineralized out west in Utah. In Disc my GB setting figure was 67 today. But still it seems to handle all the minerals and junk metal in the ground well. Haven't had a chance to test it on some really deep targets yet. I did retrieve a dime between two parallel railroad spikes buried 3" down. It was sitting between the 1 inch gap between them and I knew it was a dime in junk iron before I dug it. That impressed me. I had the little hockey puck coil on.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I have the Teknetics G2 which I'm told has the same innards. I have a clad dime buried 5"+ deep & slightly tilted. It gives off a loud beep, with visual ID jumping between zinc & dime. There are weaker beeps with low numbers that I'm guessing are ground minerals? Wonder it that has to do with something in design that makes it separate so good?

I raised the coil up at least 2" & still loud. Because it has modulated audio, it barely sounds off in air test on a dime at 10". But can we really dig a hole deeper than that reasonably fast in a park or schoolyard & not get arrested &/or get hobby banned?

The T2SE is supposed to be several inches deeper but would think use would mainly be beach, woods, or whatever other places where condition
of grass is not a concern?

I've only briefly tested my Tek G2, but can tell it's a keeper. My other favorite of those currently owned is Garrett AT Pro. Super accurate ID. Haven't got into the $1,000+ models. Best regards, George (MN)

OP
OP
Cleetus

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took my detector for a little spin an hour before dark tonight. I suddenly remembered a small park I use to play in when I was a kid. We lived right across the street. Quiet suburb, old trees line the streets, and it's an all MORMON suburb ...which means,... No Beer. No beer no beer tabs.!!!!! Got there and I was right, virtually no tabs. didn't have much time so I wasn't digging most signals. I was getting 78's (zinc penny) and solid 83's (copper penny/clad dime) right and left. This machine is nice, it doesn't jump around on the VDI number a lot. Then I got an 81. Like a wind chime. Because the IDs are so solid, I know it's something but what? It stays rock solid on 81, any direction I come at it and it's only 2" deep so I dig it quick.....Well I see the glint of gold. It's clean, the dirt isn't sticking and it's a wedding band.....I think the Gold Bug Pro just got me my first gold ring. Can't make out the inscriptions, there are several stamped looking numbers and symbols. But I could clearly make out a 22 followed by what looks like CT.......Does anyone know if there is even such a thing as 22 Karat gold? I'm sure it's gold, weighs 7 grams and .24 Troy ounce, but not very big. I only hunted 10 square feet of that park. guess where I'm going tomorrow? There is a swing set, a small ballfield, and I know the park well. It was my daily playground. I know where they've added dirt, where the dirt is original, what's been taken out, etc........my camera doesn't take really small closeups well, but I will try after the battery charges.

OP
OP
Cleetus

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the pics:

Attachments

• 003 (640x480).jpg
    003 (640x480).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 506
  • 004 (640x480).jpg
    004 (640x480).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 509
  • 010 (640x480).jpg
    010 (640x480).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 573
  • 012 (640x480).jpg
    012 (640x480).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 673
  • 012 (640x480).jpg
    012 (640x480).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 573
  • 010 (640x480).jpg
    010 (640x480).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 593
  • 004 (640x480).jpg
    004 (640x480).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 495
  • 003 (640x480).jpg
    003 (640x480).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 468

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool! Thanks for posting!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleetus........... Nice find gold with the Gold Bug ............ I have seen 22 k gold rings before so there are some out there ........ But you don't see to many and that is all the help i can give you .... Good to see your bug is finding gold........

OP
OP
Cleetus

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Keppy! Just a guess, but you're not really a beautiful women beneath a palm tree on a tropical island, are you? :laughing7: Yes I am really loving this machine. The ring is 1/4 ounce. If it is stamped looking 22 KT of Ct. It will be worth some bucks, I find out Monday. I just can't make out the marks with my bad eyes and no Loupe....The thing rang in at 81.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleetus said:
Thanks Keppy! Just a guess, but you're not really a beautiful women beneath a palm tree on a tropical island, are you? :laughing7: Yes I am really loving this machine. The ring is 1/4 ounce. If it is stamped looking 22 KT of Ct. It will be worth some bucks, I find out Monday. I just can't make out the marks with my bad eyes and no Loupe....The thing rang in at 81.
Cleetus..........Bad guess..but i am just a old young man that has been doing this for 40 some years..................And right now as i look out my window i do not see a tropical island.............. I see 2 feet plus of snow....... If you keep finding that Gold you might have to buy a Loupe...

OP
OP
Cleetus

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did buy a Loupe today. Researched the ring and found out : 22 karat gold (91.6 % gold) and it's 167 years old. Assayed and date stamped in Birmingham, England 1845. :blob7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleetus said:
Did buy a Loupe today. Researched the ring and found out : 22 karat gold (91.6 % gold) and it's 167 years old. Assayed and date stamped in Birmingham, England 1845. :blob7:
Darn Cleetus that was a real nice find .. That should almost pay for your Gold Bug I hope you find more like that.. So you can get some use out of your Loupe....

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice ring Cleetus!

I think you beat me. The best gold only ring I ever found was a rose gold .75 signature ring weighing in at just over 1/2 ounce. I think 22 Kt has a bit more gold in it. Keep an eye on it though, some people will be anxious to take it from you.

:icon_thumright:

Keppy, I shut that one post down, too many hotheads in there.

Larry

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LuckyLarry said:
Very nice ring Cleetus!

I think you beat me. The best gold only ring I ever found was a rose gold .75 signature ring weighing in at just over 1/2 ounce. I think 22 Kt has a bit more gold in it. Keep an eye on it though, some people will be anxious to take it from you.

:icon_thumright:

Keppy, I shut that one post down, too many hotheads in there.

Larry
L Larry...... Yes i saw that they really get out of control over there detectors......... But that's what makes it fun..

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleetus, I wonder if you can share some of your information about the bigger coil. I've been thinking about getting a GB Pro too, because I know of several old ball fields that are full of trash and once in awhile I get a deep old coin out of there in between the stuff. Right now I'm caught between the GB Pro, F-70, and Omega. the Omega almost matches the F-70, but not quite. I own a Compass that does very well for cherry-picking, but it is a lot heavier than the GB Pro and it's going to bite the dust eventually, if not sooner. Have you tried the GBP in really bad soil yet? That ring looks almost like rose gold, is it? Rose gold is slightly pinkish and it's somehow mixed with a bit of copper, it is more rare than regular gold, but so is 22 Kt.

That's funny Keppy....... :laughing7:

I noticed too that they mostly were fairly young too, one age 29. I wonder if that could have played some kind of a role in it? Naaaah... age doesn't matter, they just seem to be of a certain type, and I'm wondering if it really is a genetic thing that creates their over-defensiveness, and anger..?

I noticed too that one guy said he'd buy a detector for $2500 if it would outdo the Minelab on deep silver. And When I showed the Nexus he didn't say he'd buy one. Hey you have fun there Keppy, and BTW, I'm an uneducated, dumb-as-a-bucket-of-rocks "old fogy" at age 67, but I do learn new things every day of my life.

LL

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes..Cleetus.. Keep us posted on that Gold Bug Pro.... And.. L.Larry.... I am still learning also but i am still only 71 years young..........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleetus.... Over in the Teknetics forum under any faults with the G2 by coincrawler........ basstrackerman has had a lot of wrong things with his G2..or G2's he has had more than one........ Have you had any of those problems with your Gold Bug ?..... Now that i look back i think i have seen others with those problems with the G2. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, So L.Larry............ The one guy said he would buy a detector that would find deeper silver than his Minelab .. Then you told him about the $2500.00 Nexus and never heard back from him.... Like i said they are all wind... Do not have any idea what they are talking about.... Hear something from some one and just repeat it...

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, remember what Dave Johnson said about the G2 and GB Pro? Yep, they are periodically making upgrades (minor changes) in both of them. That is a good thing since it leaves it available to us if we need the changes or better upgrades.

I'm really interested in how well the bigger coil does.

LL

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LuckyLarry said:
Hey, remember what Dave Johnson said about the G2 and GB Pro? Yep, they are periodically making upgrades (minor changes) in both of them. That is a good thing since it leaves it available to us if we need the changes or better upgrades.

I'm really interested in how well the bigger coil does.

LL
Yes i am waiting till i get the good word from.. Cleetus... But Cleetus just got his so it will be a newer model........... And by the way my AT Pro is now working fine.....

OP
OP
Cleetus

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cleetus, I wonder if you can share some of your information about the bigger coil. I've been thinking about getting a GB Pro too, because I know of several old ball fields that are full of trash and once in awhile I get a deep old coin out of there in between the stuff. Right now I'm caught between the GB Pro, F-70, and Omega. the Omega almost matches the F-70, but not quite. I own a Compass that does very well for cherry-picking, but it is a lot heavier than the GB Pro and it's going to bite the dust eventually, if not sooner. Have you tried the GBP in really bad soil yet? That ring looks almost like rose gold, is it? Rose gold is slightly pinkish and it's somehow mixed with a bit of copper, it is more rare than regular gold, but so is 22 Kt.
.......... SORRY GUYS i HAVEN'T CHECKED THIS FOR AWHILE....WELL, first: I don't know if the ring is "Rose Gold" It is 22Karat which is 91.69% pure gold. Your .750 ring is I believe what is called 18 Karat. This ring has an assay mark of 1854. The year after that was the first year Goldsmiths were given the OPTION of listing Karats AND the percentage mark (916 + 22 Karat). Later on, Karat was discontinued and only the percentage mark was used. So if you are examining a ring that is claimed to be 1850's for instance, and is marked 917 or something, it's not authentic or it is not dated accurately..........Keppy, I have had ZERO problems with my GBPro. I don't treat it like a baseball bat, but I don't baby it too much either. It is so light I can't believe it. I use the little coil a lot, because going through a trashy or multi-target area I can only go so fast, and the 5" coil covers that well. You can swing it fast and it doesn't blank out on targets (i.e. it recovers very fast in Disc). The 11 inch DD coil is great but i seem to be off sometimes on my pinpointing by a couple of inches. That might be just me, I have never used a DD coil before. My soil is very mineralized, and when I'm in Public Parks very trashy too. But the machine, with the 11"dd glides right through it. They only problem I might have is often I get two or more targets at once beneath the coil. But I can wiggle it around and usually identify the difference between them. I have run it in All Metal a time or two, but I'm not sure I really get much more depth by doing it. It is about as deep on Disc as it in ALL metal if I don't try to turn the Disc on very high. Usually that means I give everything just under a nickel High tone, then low tone extends to the iron range, then silent in Iron. Let me say just once again, you can really move through the targets fast, the recovery speed in trashy iron is amazing................Haven't heard about problems with the G2 but I will go read the thread Keppy.......Here is a better pic of the ring I found. It rang a hair below the clad dime range. 7 grams of 22 K (9.16%) Gold. The color is a little truer in this pic. It is the same color gold as my $5 dollar Indian Head 1/4 Eagle U.S. coin. Oh and the ring is on eBay right now. Bids are to $329 with two days to go.

Attachments

• 031 (2) (1024x742).jpg
    031 (2) (1024x742).jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 445
  • 031 (2) (1024x742).jpg
    031 (2) (1024x742).jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 362

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread