GINSENG

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
In about a month the ginseng season will start here in Tennessee! Just wondering, anyone else hunt this herb?

I have some private land I can hunt, I also applied for a draw hunt in the Cherokee National Forest. They pick only 40 permits...
20 in both the northern and southern halves of the forest with the division being the Smoky Mountain Park.
Each part is divided into 5 sections and every year they choose one of the 5 to hunt and rotate each year. This removes the hunting pressure and allows the plants to grow and replenish. This year in the southern half the section will be from the Georgia State Line north to the Ocoee River. I know the area real well having deer hunted and Jeep riding that area over the last 50 years.

The thought crossed my mind.. I may need another digging tool!? I can use the excuse to make another digger, my old one is showing it's age... besides, you can always use more tools!:laughing7:

Best at ya!
-Wayne

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 9, I have followed the seng trail here in the North Country for a couple decades.....some times with success, sometimes none.....it is another excuse to get out in the woods and enjoy nature.....and make a small and decent profit at the same time. Only trouble is that VT. figured that out, and now we need permits to sell the herb.....gary

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was invited to go on a sang run next year, in Garrett Co. MD, lots of it in the woods between Wisp ski resort and the Oakland golf course, don't know anything about it..looking forward to learning, (if it pans out).

OP
OP
Number9

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Gary..

Yeah, hunting ginseng is about like fishing, sometimes good.. other times not even a bite.
But, I do enjoy being out there anyway.
Do you have a set season? Here in the NF it's only two weeks from Sept.16-30 and if you get drawn the permit is $20.
The season was longer years ago and they allowed more permits.. said they were going to watch for poachers more this year, it's becoming a big problem with prices high.

Dave..

Going with someone who has the experience is the best way to learn... it'll keep you from bring back a Virgina Creeper or tree root!:laughing7:

Virgina Creeper...
images

Ginseng...
PANQUI1_DW.jpg

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a set season, but known only to be productive for the month of Sept. Root , I think, has to be certified and disposed of by the first of the year. I totally agree with going out with a veteran, I was lucky to be taken under the wing of an old "outlaw", from nthe North Country early on, and learned more from him than I did getting my professional degrees at the university.....good luck and HH.....Gary

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a set season, but known only to be productive for the month of Sept. Root , I think, has to be certified and disposed of by the first of the year. I totally agree with going out with a veteran, I was lucky to be taken under the wing of an old "outlaw", from nthe North Country early on, and learned more from him than I did getting my professional degrees at the university.....good luck and HH.....Gary

Gary,

There is a set season for harvesting Ginseng in Vermont! It is August 20th to October 10th and yes, you have to have a permit to dig as well as sell the Ginseng that you harvested. See the link below.

Ginseng Certification Program | Agency of Agriculture Food & Markets

Frank

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Frank. Rightnnow I spend the time just locating and spreading seeds to perpetuate...haven't dug in several years.....some year soon I'll start again. Our local buyer, Dave Hicks, in NY, has also been very helpful...he also buy's my furs and deer hides. I haven't actually dug the root foe a number of years, and knew of the permit system but was not sure on the season.....Thanks a gain......Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions