Garmin (Trek) GPS

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Anyone use the Garmin Trek GPS?

I have one, but have never really used it - would like to hear your experiences, and suggestions.

I am hoping to add two new fields to the posting pages - latitude and longitude - so when you post an image, IF you fill out those fields, a map with a pin will appear in your post. It's on my front burner of things to do, but please be patient - it's not easy!

Thanks,
Marc Austin

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
Hi Marc I have a Garmin GPSMAP76C that I traded to someone and I am now using the Etrex Legend e , they are real handy for marking spots , someone can send you coordinates and upload it to your GPS.
My gripe with them is that they come with crappy factory maps and the Mapsource software is pricey!, I put the Topo one into it and I use some map making software that comes in handy Ichart out my waypoints on my map and upload the info to my gps
They are nice to have around as I use mine alot
Buddy

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have the etrex also, ive played with it a little on and off since Xmas very cool little tool!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marc, your GPS will give you a track of where you've been and how to get back to your starting position. It is way to much that I wanna type or they have room for here. You can learn alot by checking out Garmin's web site. The 76C is the bigger one with downloaded maps, etc. Guys have gotten lost using Lorance or Magellan. Oh, they're OK, just hard to learn and use.

The one I use in the car is a Garmin 330C. It's fantastic to find places or get back to your hotel when your lost in a strange city. Points the way to the beaches and attractions.

HH,
Sandman

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Oops - mine is actually the Garmin eTrex legend too!

Thanks for the feedback and link - I guess It's time to figure this thing out! :P

Marc

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
Your Welcome Marc!
They are not that hard to figure out one just needs to play with them ;D
And it's like like Sandman said you can track yourself from your starting point and you will never get lost again 8)
Best
MesaB

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a big fan of Garmin products for a lot of years, and currently have two in my pack. I have the 12 XL, and the ETrex Legend. I also have the Garmin GPS Maps of the world software loaded on my home and shipboard computers.
I must say that I prefer the older 12 XL, maybe because I’m getting older and the 12 XL is a little more user friendly on the eyes, but that ETrex is very convenient to carry around town or on the beach, as she just slips into just about any pocket. With the map display, and running the tracker function, with the ETrex, Velcro and Excalibur, I can run a grid pattern search with much more accuracy than using fixed point references. I have also found that the ETrex is more accurate in that it utilizes the D-GPS technology, and we have a multitude of ground stations along the Space & Treasure Coast.
When doing land navigation, I still rely on a map and compass and only rely on the GPS to verify my exact location i.e., check my work. I am afraid that with all this technology, the older, tried and true methods of navigation are being lost to the younger folks.

Q

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
I've played around with one...Really easy to use. I use a Garmin M5 and a Trimble Geo XT for mapping. Looking forward to your additions!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have the $100 yellow Garmin e- trex. VERY USER FREINDLY. I love it. Can use with one hand. Need to use with compass when hiking to location. Electronic compass may be good feature to have on better models. I already have over 100 waypoints marked. It is a little tricky transferring coordinates onto large US Geological Survey Maps when I get back home. I have a kit that is very helpful with clear plastic layovers.

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
I have been using Lowrances GPS around the early 90, I'm using the H2O I finder know. I go geocaching, and log all my metal detecting sites and know I'm logging all my fines with latitude and longitude, so I can go right back to where I found something good, and you can see a displacement pattern from around house site, and cashes that have been move by a plow, and map in building site form all the nails you fine. I used my in Ireland to see where all the hot spots were at, when you got 257 acre to go over, it nice to go back to the better spots. If you use a GPS then you should go to geocaghing.com and check it out.

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250
Have any of you tried Geocaching? It's kinda of fun and a good way to find new hunting spots.

T

TreasureTales

Have had a Garmin GPS unit for a few years. Only use it for altitude, lat & long, speed, compass. Haven't needed to mark waypoints yet. It's a handy little device and sure is great for getting to the right spot again after a few years or months absence. Highly recommend everybody who likes the outdoors get one. Only drawback for me personally, the screen is too small. It also is an older model, so the backlight feature kinda sucks. But I wouldn't ever want to leave on a trip and not have it with me.

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
Bought a Magellan Explorist(sp?), used it for a week, then took it back.. What a crappy basemap. I live on the one of the largest freshwater lakes (other than the great lakes) in Ontario (Lake Simcoe), and it wasn't even on the base map.. Lowrance seems to have the best base map of any I have seen so far. every body of water over five hectares (in Canada) is on it.. Trying to find something with a 'good' Canadian basemap was my biggest problem

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the Magellan Explorist XL (Big Screen) and the Garmin ETrex (yellow).

They both have good and bad points. The Magellan Base maps are crappy, but the Mapsend TOPO Maps are some of the best around (Spend the money!). The Etrex cheapo is very good at what it does. It's convenient, and easy to mark points of interest. It's also easy to navigate back and forth.

Best,

Mike

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
took my etrax off the beaten path(off the main marked roads)
it tracked and marked into its memory the backroads i took for 3 hours

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The feature I could use most on the yellow etrex would be an electronic compass for hiking. I had to glue a small compass on my GPS to find North without having to wait 5 minutes. They are on the better models. I havent upgraded yet, but I would recommend the models with the electronic compass for hikers.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry a compass, and as a survival instructor, always recommend to my students that they should never use the GPS as a compass for several reasons. 1. The GPS is battery operated, and unless you have spare batteries you could find yourself lost with a dead GPS. 2. The GPS operates by line of sight with the GPS Satellites, the less satellites your unit sees, the less accurate it becomes. Many variables will cause LOS (loss of signal), with satellites, Cloud cover, Dense woods, mountains and buildings can all block signals.
Once you have established your position in a clear open area with the GPS, and pinpointed it on a map, my recommendation is to turn the GPS off, and continue your trek with the good old map and compass.
Hey! I'm old school and consider basic land navigation a skill that should be maintained.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You are absolutely right Wreckdiver. Thanks for clarifying. I carry 2 or 3 compasses while hunting in the swamp where it is very easy to turned around or even lost.. I was stating that with the yellow Garmin, a compass needs to be used together to find North, as the GPS doesnt always point true direction. Now the models with electronic compass may point true faster, but I would still ALWAYS carry a compass in my pocket or pouch. I only use my GPS for waypoints, NOT for direction.

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I'm an occasional Geocacher, have several GPS units, all Garmin, bought an E-Trex first, but it's antenna is small and can lose satelites easily, so, bought a GPS 60C, which has a better (larger antenna), now, rarely a loss of signal. The National Geographic TOPO series is great, will print out topographic maps, elevations and has a 3D flyover feature - all for around $100. If you buy the whole shot (GPS, software) from REI, and you are a member of their co-op, you will get a members dividend of up to 10% on all purchases (other than sale material).

Tourezrick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread