Found my own treasure today --update -- Added more Pictures

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
Since I am waiting until it gets a little warmer to head to the beach, and I wanted to post some of my own finds for my 100th post, I started looking thru some of the boxes that were still packed from my last move.
So today I found my own treasure.

I use to find a lot of silver before I switched to mostly beach hunting, a lot of this came out of a site in the Washington DC area that I found in 1989. That site I found over a 600 silver coins in 6 to 8 month period. When I first started hunting that site most days I would get 40 to 50 silver coins a day mostly dimes.

I sold some of my silver coins and gold rings in 1996 to buy a motorcycle. I wish now I would have kept everything, that was a lot of hard digging. I know there is another box of stuff that should have more coins and some of the civil war relics and rock tumbler that I use to clean the clad.

One picture is of beach toys another one is of clad and a pile of wheat pennies (in top right hand corner of pic).
Couple of the pictures are of some common silver and some older stuff, few Barbers, large cents, a two cent, half cent and civil war bullets.

Attachments

• BeachToys.JPG
    BeachToys.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,288
  • Weats-Clad.JPG
    Weats-Clad.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,291
  • Coins.JPG
    Coins.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 2,282
  • OlderCoins.JPG
    OlderCoins.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,276

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found my own treasure today

Great pics .

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

Yeah, very impressive. Thanks for showing you treasure.

HH

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

How about a few close ups of the coins in holders.

Do you have a favorite or two?

Ridley

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Impressive finds, Tom. What are the oldest dates? Congrats on your 100th post. :D

;) RR

D

damz68

Boy I wish I had started back in 89 when few people were doing it and it was a fairly new hobby, those lost silver coins are becoming rare!

Real good finds!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, I can't wait to see what your next 100 posts bring. Nice Post and pictures. I remember back when I first started detecting. One time around 1985 or so, I hit a park, it was raining lightly and I hunted till I was soaking wet. I walked away from that park with a huge cup full of silver coins and a bunch of rings. I went back to that site a few years later and they had made it a historical site, which means no metal detecting. Oh well I had fun!

Thanks for your post and pictures, they are great!

HH, Ringfinder

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Nice post. I love hearing stories like yours. Eight years ago is not that long ago. That is an awesome take of silver for a day - 40+. ;D ;D

Gotta make the most of every opportunity. Blink and they are gone.

You have found some nice stuff. Good luck in the future.

Mirage

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

WOW!! :o :o That's a whole bunch of holes! Yeah....wish I had started a long time ago too, but I was in a whole different situation back then. Thanks for sharing your loot with us!

Hh,
Moon

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

Nice bunch of finds !!! Lots of goodies in there ;D ;D

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice display, thats a lot o' silver you dug :D

HH
-Gc

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Simply incredible!!! I just drool over pictures like that. What a hoard of goodies. Nice car lot too. Congrats.
-MM-
P.S. Do you still have the motorcycle?

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

Holy Moly!!
What do you think of the White's PI machine?
I was debating between that and the Garrets for underwater hunting.

OP
OP
Old Tom

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used

MM
You asked if I still have the Bike ... no I upgraded since then. The one I bought in 1996 was a Honda 1100 ACE
Now I ride a Honda Valkyrie. Both were bought used the one in 96 was with mostly metal detecting money, selling silver coins, gold rings and clad. I let the clad pile up until I want a new toy.

Attachments

• 96Bike.jpg
    96Bike.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,866
  • Valkyrie13.JPG
    Valkyrie13.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,861

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man,
Those bikes are BEAUTIFUL!!!! I think I'd trade in coins for those too. Thanks for sharing those pictures. Super cool.
-MM-

OP
OP
Old Tom

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used

TXTim

I love the whites PI. It has been very good to me. I am not sure what Garrett your looking at I have had 5 Garrett machines two of them were for water, the XL500 and the AT4. I don't think they make the AT4 anymore. I did not do very well with either of those machine.

With my PI I do dig a lot of trash but also I did a lot of coins and jewelry. There will be people that will tell you to go for the Excal, I have not used one, but guys hunting with me have. I always get as much or more with them. I really think the PI will go deeper, I have one ring that was found right at the opening of a good spot we called the keyhole at a Hawaii beach. I know other guys and me have walked by this spot hundreds of times. One low tide I got a faint signal and after digging at least 18 inches I found a 18K gold ring shaped like a snake, with small diamonds. I remember that one because it was so deep. Another deep one was the Brietling watch (retail $1250) I started out digging it in about four feet of water and was holding my breath stepping into the hole before I got it. I guess you can tell I like the PI. From reading other post here on TN I am going to purchase a White PI Pro in the next couple weeks. The claim is that it will do better on gold chains.

But you do really have to understand that with the PI machine you will dig everything, nails, bobby pins, tabs and bottle tops. I have accepted this because I get the gold too. I know if I got a machine that discriminates then I would use it and by doing so I feel I would not find a lot of the smaller gold, gold chains or platinum rings.
I was hunting with a guy a few years ago, when a guy came up to us for help finding his ring he lost right by his towel on the beach. I was digging a signal so my friend went to help. After a little while I saw them both walk off looking like they had not found it. I little later I went by the spot and bang the PI picked it right up. It was a nice platinum and 18K wedding band. I caught up with my friend and asked him what happen, he said the guy left the beach mad because he could not find his ring. I put the ring on the sand in front of him, he waved his over it .. and nothing. I reach over turned his Disc all the way off, then bang bang bang ... he could hear it. The cool part was after that day my friend started getting a lot of nice rings too.

Here is a pic of my PI .. notice all the yellow paint has worn off the upper rod. But is still works great.

Attachments

• Whites PI.JPG
    Whites PI.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,819

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread