found musket ball. caliber question and age??

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
A divider and ruler and caliber chart.

Attachments

• divider.jpg
    divider.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 3,228

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3/4 in. sounds like a .45 cal to me (not positive though).

cool find,

hh

lonewolfe

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
The round balls i have found are .645 Slightly smaller than the 58 cal mini balls. I posted a couple in today's find RE: Things I'm thankful for if you want a reference.

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
The British used .75 caliber muskets from the early 1700s thru the Revolutionary War.I believe most of the Patriot's muskets were .72 caliber.

No way to guess the age unless it was found with an object that could be dated.

hasbeen

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Someguy is right. Caliber is the diameter of the projectile in inches. So a .22 is 0.22", a .38 is 0.38" and a .45 is 0.45" in diameter. You can use calipers to measure caliber. :-*

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
Crown forces, using the Short Land Brown Bess Musket normally were equiped with ball that ranged from .69 cal to .72. The small the ball size the easier to load when the bore was full of black powder fouling. The "standard" Whig Committee of Safety Musket was patterned after the French Charrleyville Musket at .69 cal, and they would load between an .62 and a .66 ball.

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

Reenacting the War of Rebellion for 30 years, last 25 as a Loyalist! God save the King!

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I was a living history re-enactor long ago, and shot a flintlock "trade gun" that used a .72 cal. roundball. It is most likely, however, that being from Delaware, your find is from a "Brown Bess". Unless you possess a "Wayback Machine" and can go back in time, you'll never know for sure. Does the ball show any obvious deformation to it? If so, it could be a through and through, otherwise, probably a miss. Lastly, if from a Bess, in British hands, there may be others about, volley shooting.

Akacita mahnee yo!

Tourezrick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread