Found a neat fossil arrowhead hunting the other day.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Hey guys and gals! Hope your fossils are coming in good!

I found a really nice display piece the other day.

I have this in my post in the American Indian artifacts forum too, but I wanted to share it in the fossil forum.

My theory is that this is a fire pop, where flint sits too near the fire and explodes.

IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

I also went to Fort Gibson dam today, and found a nice bunch of dime size crinoid stem sections in the rocks around the walkway, so I was pretty happy about those as well.

Thanks for looking and keep your eyes trained!!

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool looking little fossil! Glad you found someplace to go arrowhead/fossil hunting, jrsherman. I'm just waiting on Fall before I venture out---too many snakes crawling right now for me!
Gotta go check out your other post in the artifact section now :thumbsup: .
sandcreek~~

OP
OP
jrsherman

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
sandcreek4 said:
That is a cool looking little fossil! Glad you found someplace to go arrowhead/fossil hunting, jrsherman. I'm just waiting on Fall before I venture out---too many snakes crawling right now for me!
Gotta go check out your other post in the artifact section now :thumbsup: .
sandcreek~~

Thanks! My Grandpa loved it, and he's not even too interested in fossils. As soon as I get my tackle box sorted I'll get the crinoid segment pictures posted up, I was really thrilled with them today, wish I could've just brought home some of the big rocks!!

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hey jr! :hello:
What is it? :icon_scratch:

Glad you got out, the weather is finally taking a nice turn. But really, what is that thing? I thought it was a little metal thingy when I first saw it. Now to go look in the post in artifacts.

OP
OP
jrsherman

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Harry Pristis said:
"Fire-pop" seems like a good explanation for your find. Very interesting piece.

Thanks Harry!

naturegirl said:
Hey jr! :hello:
What is it? :icon_scratch:

Glad you got out, the weather is finally taking a nice turn. But really, what is that thing? I thought it was a little metal thingy when I first saw it. Now to go look in the post in artifacts.

Hey NG! :wave: I hope the weather is turning in a fast motion myself!

I'm still fairly new to the ID part, but I'm pretty sure it's just a plant stem. It's what we've always called them when I was growing up. I knew about crinoids and a few other small things, but these things run rampant in SW Mo, and you can find huge pieces of rocks that are entirely composed of them. I've got a good one occupying my moms flowerbed border, I'll try to get a picture of it sometime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread