Fishdam ford S.C.

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
Drove down to Chester County S.C. on Monday. History says there was a battle fought here during the revolution. I google earthed the spot, it's on 72 out of chester where 72 crosses the broad river. The water is low and you can see the fishdam that the indians used tocatch large ammounts of fish. They built a dam out of rocks in a zig zag pattern across the river and would stand at the low points with baskets. The others would walk the river beating it with sticks funneling the fish into baskets. History says the americans were camped there and were attacked by the British at night, the Americans won the battle. I detected there for about 2 hours an got nothing but buckshot and nails. The ground was very soft and easy to dig so I guess artifacts have sunk to deep or i was in the wrong spot. Better luck next time I guess.

Upvote 0

rhuntn4gold

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2011
SC upstate
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The county used to dig sand and gravel for road repairs at this location and without a doubt they probably hauled off a lot of the artifacts from the site. If you will move to the high ground, 300yds or so from the river and look on the north side of the road, move back into the woods beyond the old evcavation pit, you can come up with some good stuff. We found part of the battle and several campsites in there about 15 years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread