First use of simplex

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
My father in law had ankle surgery, so he wanted me to take his simplex out and do some detecting with it this weekend. I only used it for a couple of hours, but I think for the money, you cant beat it. First, the things i like. The bluetooth headphones are great, no noticable lag whatsoever. It pinpoints well, better than my etrac actually. It goes deep, I was getting signals 8 inches down, and on field mode it was hitting them no problem.

Now what I dont like about it. The target id does not lock on and give you definitive numbers unless you have a pretty shallow target, at least that was my experience on Saturday. And I know no detector is accurate on target id on deeper items, but the bounce is more pronounced with the simplex, so you really cant tell if it's a low conductor or high one at depth by the target id. The lower shaft is not as robust as I would like, the least little bit of pressure and it bends, although it doesn't stay that way, I assume it's made of hard plastic.

I did a couple of different tests with it. I would find something with my etrac, and then compare the signal with the simplex. It hit on each target and some were deep, but the numbers were very jumpy, so if you buy this machine and you are a dig it all person, then you will love it. If you rely on the numbers to help you make decisions, then you might pass a good target or two up with it. I wish field mode had more tones, if it did, it would help me, I am a tone hunter for the most part. The other modes just aren't as deep as field, at least it seems to me that way in the limited time I had on it. I tried all metal and park, and it seems that field mode has a different level to it.

Am I going to buy one? Yes, because I need a water detector and dont want to put that much money in one. For my purpose in the water, I will dig it all, and it will be just fine to use it for that.

Not bashing it at all. Again, two hours is not enough time to really know the machine. If you are a beginner, this is the best entry level machine with all the bells and whistles it has, i.e. waterproof detectors, and wireless headphones. I dont think I would opt for the waterproof headphones, the handle vibrates, and I think that would be enough if it is submerged in water, and you dig every signal anyway.
If you are experienced and wanting a water detector, definitely. If you are a dig it all detectorist, then it goes deep enough to compete with machines alot more than it is. CM200222-160916002.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread