Fayette County

K

Kentucky Kache

FAYETTE COUNTY - Chilesburg was originally a tavern and stagecoach stop with a store and black­smith shop. During the pioneer period it was a fav­orite spot to hold muster days. A few remains are left today .

Chilesburg was a Fayette county community located where the railroad crossed Cleveland Road (KY 1973), about a mile south of the Winchester Pike (US 60). Chilesburg was originally located on the Winchester Pike and originated with the tavern of Richard Chiles, who also operated a post office there from 1826 until 1830. The post office reopened in 1863 and when the Lexington and Big Sandy Railroad was completed in 1872, the post office and village moved to the new site. The post office closed in 1954. The site was also known as Athens Station, for the town of Athens, located about four miles farther south on KY 1973.

Anyone here ever tried this spot?

Attachments

• ky-chilesburg.gif
    ky-chilesburg.gif
    47.6 KB · Views: 582
OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Is there a lot of people living in the Athens area?
Have you detected around Boonesborough?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Athens is tiny, very few people, very few homes. The old Athens campus is the hotspot, dates back to the early 1900's. Even the "new" campus still gives up the occaisional silver. Not certain but I think the newer campus dates back to the late 40's. I have detected around some of the homes in Athens and the finds have been good.

I haven't detected around Boonesborough. The Fort is off limits. I suspect that some of the homes in that area would give up some good stuff. For what it's worth, Athens was founded by ole Daniel himself. An oldtimer told me that Athens was originally named Boonesboroough and that Daniel merely relocated the town from the Fort location to Athens. Somehow, over the years, it was renamed. I have heard many people call it Athens-Boonesborough.

There's an old church in Athens that gave up some really nice finds two years ago. I have no doubt that the church had never been detected before. Several large cents, silver coins and three nice rings.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Cool. I might give it a try one of these days.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
The "new" Chilesburg should be easy to find. Would be nice to find the original location! I'd say it was probably at the intersection of US60 and Cleveland Road....There's a little country store at that intersection and I know the owner fairly well. Next time I go thru there, I'll stop and inquire about it.

Jamie

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Sure, I'll take all I can get. I promise to keep my eyes closed. ;D

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Exit 104 off of I75.....turn east, go about 1.5 miles and you'll see the "new" school on the right. Turn right on the lane that runs in front of the school. There's a circular driveway across the road from the new school, park there. The entire area around that driveway is the old campus. It's a large area, probably acre and a half, it's all good! At one time, there were 5 buildings on this site. The very original building was razed and buried on site, it's easy to find, just look for the sunken ground...that's a good place to start.

Let me know when you plan to hit it. I'll do a drive by to check on how high the grass is. It doesn't get mowed too often. If it's too high, I would suggest waiting....the coins are generally 6+ inches.

Jamie

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
The ol school grounds gave up two Merc's and 5 wheats Monday...still producing. One of the wheats is a 1909....made my heart skip a beat or two...but no S or VDB.

Jamie

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

If I can get a break in the next few weeks I might give you a yell.
I hope the weather holds out.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Fingers crossed on the weather! I will go back soon. Had some trouble there with my Cortez "cycling" in and out. Could be the powerlines that run close to the field...not sure, haven't had any problems there in the past. Gonna take the back up detector just in case.

Jamie

sixguns

Oct 19, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
took 'old Richmond road thru there today coming back from work, your right Jamie, its wide open thru there...

sixguns

Oct 19, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Richmond, got transfered about 2 months ago..... Know any good places around there?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Army Depot. Would be a GREAT Civil War Site in places. Impossible to get into. High security, esp. because of the nerve gas. You might be able to get permission and access though.

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread