20230726_072327.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural rock.... It is called "pareidolia.:

"Pareidolia is the tendency for perception to impose a meaningful interpretation on a nebulous stimulus, usually visual, so that one sees an object, pattern, or meaning where there is none."

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural rock.... It is called "pareidolia.:

"Pareidolia is the tendency for perception to impose a meaningful interpretation on a nebulous stimulus, usually visual, so that one sees an object, pattern, or meaning where there is none."

Whole lot of that here lately but we all have to learn.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
makes great driveway stone . I don't see it as anything else.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was work put into it by the artist, the material is not stone alone touch of hematite. Thanks
There are over 3000 years of combined experience in collecting and studying Indian artifacts here, sorry, it is just a natural rock and pareidolia.

OP
OP
Jusfieldreem2

Jusfieldreem2

Jul 6, 2023
Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh, well congratulations on your once in a lifetime discovery .
I know you are very experienced; do you agree that examining a piece in person can sway an opinion. Not a lifetime discovery, thanks

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Justfieldreem..

I can see the "eyes" you're referring to, but they were made by nature, not by any human. In short, what you "see" in that rock was factory installed when the rock formed.

I downloaded your images, blew them up and then looked carefully for any signs of being "worked" by a tool. There are no marks, or evidence of a tool mark to be seen.

It's a cool rock, and conversation piece..but that is all.

Wishes were fishes.jpg

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Great thread. Thanks! Hey OP, we all have a tendency to see from our past when ever we open our eyes.
Keep finding treasure. Every tool or cool looking rock is fun for me. I have had folks look at my "finds" on-line and spout out "just rocks, nothing there" SO many times....I just take it as part of my schooling as I move thru each season of life.

My wife and I both are 'artsy-fartsy' and see lots of cool images in rocks. When we see something we like, we haul it home. (if it is not too heavy) -- The metate pictured below, we leave that one there, it's kinda heavy!
I have to tell you, half the time, I do not "see" what my wife sees in her finds...and vice versa.
Each eye will find its own goodies.

Also appreciate learning about the "word" for when we "see" something. -- thanks Mr. Treasure Hunter.

vfm

Attachments

• IMG_5189.jpeg
    IMG_5189.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Great thread. Thanks! Hey OP, we all have a tendency to see from our past when ever we open our eyes.
Keep finding treasure. Every tool or cool looking rock is fun for me. I have had folks look at my "finds" on-line and spout out "just rocks, nothing there" SO many times....I just take it as part of my schooling as I move thru each season of life.

My wife and I both are 'artsy-fartsy' and see lots of cool images in rocks. When we see something we like, we haul it home. (if it is not too heavy) -- The metate pictured below, we leave that one there, it's kinda heavy!
I have to tell you, half the time, I do not "see" what my wife sees in her finds...and vice versa.
Each eye will find its own goodies.

Also appreciate learning about the "word" for when we "see" something. -- thanks Mr. Treasure Hunter.

vfm
I like your perspective. We get a kick out of posts sometimes. I tend to forget that I had a decent level of pareidolia when I started too. I found 4 scrapers, a few points and a lot of hammer stones on my first try! After posting, I discovered I was full of the proverbial bologna. They were all just rocks. I agree, if you like a rock, for whatever reason, keep it. I have a pile of them in my rock garden. Thanks!

OP
OP
Jusfieldreem2

Jusfieldreem2

Jul 6, 2023
Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Justfieldreem..

I can see the "eyes" you're referring to, but they were made by nature, not by any human. In short, what you "see" in that rock was factory installed when the rock formed.

I downloaded your images, blew them up and then looked carefully for any signs of being "worked" by a tool. There are no marks, or evidence of a tool mark to be seen.

It's a cool rock, and conversation piece..but that is all.

View attachment 2095119
I appreciate your due diligence with the picture. The only thing you have not done is examine it in person, that makes all of the difference. I could be wrong there were other techniques used to make art or trade pieces that are perhaps lost now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread