cfauvel

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2020
Sarasota, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So my wires were cracking on both the coil and the headphones and the MineLab detector repair center in Alum, PA said that they couldn't just replace the wires.
(from what I see here that is not the case).

So I have new KOSS headphones and a new 12" Tornado coil Booster DO.

got it back Monday and the normal sound for threshold is not there....expecting a steady tone/hum - I now get a wavy multi-tone tone.

Of course I've put in call to the repair center.

Here is a video depicting the issue.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to test anything inside a house. Try it outside away from any EMI. What does it do in Pin Point?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cable can not be changed, cable to coil does not connect at the strain relief point on coil, that is a pass through point, cable passes through and is soldered to the coil windings then a resin is poured over the windings covering the splice point, circuit board and all copper windings.

Test it outside away from any and all electrical cables. You should be able to turn threshold down to a steady threshold, also do you have sensitivity set to max?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cfauvel

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2020
Sarasota, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Thanks everyone.

The video was just a representation, it does the same thing outside. I start it up with the coil in the air and try to get an even threshold tone (like I used to get), and just can't.

It gets better with the sensitivity set to the 1,2,3 (all the way clockwise) which is meant for sub-aqua.

In pinpoint mode the tone is like a cricket. Faster than a bird chirping but slower than a full on cricket...

in musical terms the pinpoint sounds probably like 32nd notes or a double stroke drum roll.
in musical terms the DISC sounds like an crappy arpeggio going up and down and around willy nilly

In both DISC and Pinpoint I can discern stuff, but in DISC I can't really tell if it is a really faint signal or the wacky threshold

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Best to take it some where you have hunted before without issues. Sure sounds like EMI issues...I'll test mine later...and share video. Headed out now be back
<br>

Sounds the same to me..And mine is fine at the beach..

OP
OP
C

cfauvel

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2020
Sarasota, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
@OBN yes that is the same sound, but mine sounds like that outside too....

I'd take it to the beach, but since the coil and repair is brand new I don't want the repair center to use that against me....STILL waiting for a reply from them...grrr

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is Coil brand new or have you used it in the past, has it been in the salt water? When I worked in minelab repair center hard wiring Nel coils on excals we discovered some of the Nel Tornado coils were bad, very unstable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cfauvel

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2020
Sarasota, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
UPDATE: just spoke with the repair center...it is possible that the new coil is just more sensitive and need to just turn the knob to the right more.
They also stated that sometimes the EMI can change day by day. Happens to them in their repair shop and they have a designated area that is typically EMI free.

I was able to get a good tone by going to the right at about 4.5...at that setting the pinpoint sound is better too... Before I could go from Auto, 10,9,8,7 and more with no tonal sound difference...I usually had it around 7.

Will be taking it to the beach either today or tomorrow and see

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cfauvel

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2020
Sarasota, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Is Coil brand new or have you used it in the past, has it been in the salt water? When I worked in minelab repair center hard wiring Nel coils on excals we discovered some of the Nel Tornado coils were bad, very unstable.

Brand spanking new, never been used yet...received it last Sunday 08/02/2020...has not seen water yet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread