Electrolysis issues

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I’m pulling my hair out in this one. I did industrial electrical work for about 30 years: 480 3 phase through various DC control voltages. I understand the way it works. My smart charger was stopping the process. I now have a 12 volt 120VAC to 12VDC converter. It is basically a battery tender/charger. Clean positive steel (mower blades) and good connections. Arm & Hammer wash soda, the target, negative, item has been cleaned for good connection at both ends. Here’s what I get via my Fluke meter: 14.2VDC checking between water and positive connection. Great bubbles & some cleaning. If I try to adjust the piece so it is submerged better, I get around 1.4VDC and the charger won’t kick into charge mode. With charger unplugged, I have no continuity across the water. Is that due to too little soda? Normally water is not good continuity probe to probe.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m pulling my hair out in this one. I did industrial electrical work for about 30 years: 480 3 phase through various DC control voltages. I understand the way it works. My smart charger was stopping the process. I now have a 12 volt 120VAC to 12VDC converter. It is basically a battery tender/charger. Clean positive steel (mower blades) and good connections. Arm & Hammer wash soda, the target, negative, item has been cleaned for good connection at both ends. Here’s what I get via my Fluke meter: 14.2VDC checking between water and positive connection. Great bubbles & some cleaning. If I try to adjust the piece so it is submerged better, I get around 1.4VDC and the charger won’t kick into charge mode. With charger unplugged, I have no continuity across the water. Is that due to too much soda? Normally water is good continuity probe to probe.
To experiment (hey it's only water and electricity....)
Run straight water and see what your power source does.
We don't know your maintainer , it could be smarter than those of us putting electricity in water...

You are increasing the conductivity by adding soda.
( I use just a little in my mini set up.)

This article suggests no more than a rounded tablespoon per gallon.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m pulling my hair out in this one. I did industrial electrical work for about 30 years: 480 3 phase through various DC control voltages. I understand the way it works. My smart charger was stopping the process. I now have a 12 volt 120VAC to 12VDC converter. It is basically a battery tender/charger. Clean positive steel (mower blades) and good connections. Arm & Hammer wash soda, the target, negative, item has been cleaned for good connection at both ends. Here’s what I get via my Fluke meter: 14.2VDC checking between water and positive connection. Great bubbles & some cleaning. If I try to adjust the piece so it is submerged better, I get around 1.4VDC and the charger won’t kick into charge mode. With charger unplugged, I have no continuity across the water. Is that due to too much soda? Normally water is good continuity probe to probe.
Spend 22 minutes and watch this video-pretty basic and I like big brush(s) idea over any other sacrificial piece.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We don't know your maintainer , it could be smarter than those of us putting electricity in water...

That's really good, I'm thinking of a project that it might work on. Gently though as it's brass. Crazy on how much srubbing it took to get it that far along.
7E86D3AF-BB0E-4FD4-B4A9-22249AA77633.jpeg

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+

I used 1/3 cup to every 5 gallons

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that it matters but use baking soda as electrlyte and stainless as my sacrificial metal and jut an old car charger.....then patiently wait. I am an electrician and never thought to take readings, never has been necessary. Keep at it though, you will get it.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Spend 22 minutes and watch this video-pretty basic and I like big brush(s) idea over any other sacrificial piece.

Good video. I’m doing pretty similar. 2 things I’m changing after the video. I’m going to start smaller and use a 12V transformer like he did. Then see if I can clean a small piece. I’ll also try his soda salt mix. Thanks again

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i used a big wall 12 volt transformer and powdered citric acid used in canning fruit. To get more coverage i used a big loop of concrete reinforcement pencil rod. I was doing optimus and primus hiking stove steel cases. The loop just fit in the plastic container and speeded up the process as you got 360 degree coverage.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I down-sized and am using a 12VDC 200mA charger. It appears to be working. I have 14.55VDC at the connections. It will be slow, due to the very low amperage. Much better than “not working” with higher amps.

Attachments

• 2D1432AD-6CEC-4A70-B269-287991316F73.jpeg
    2D1432AD-6CEC-4A70-B269-287991316F73.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an old 12 volt battery charger and a watering trough or a plastic highway crash barrel. That's a trunk lid for a model A ford the top is setting on plastic spacers to keep out of the muck. It helps to rinse off when needed in this case it was taking the old paint off. Crash barrel with a hood panel suspended I normally use a whole box of washing soda mixed in a bucket with hot water cleaned metal needs to be protected from flash rust. I use rebar or whatever metal I have for sacrificial anode.

Attachments

• PB112642.JPG
    PB112642.JPG
    565 KB · Views: 14
  • Electro-panels 003.JPG
    Electro-panels 003.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I use an old 12 volt battery charger and a watering trough or a plastic highway crash barrel. That's a trunk lid for a model A ford the top is setting on plastic spacers to keep out of the muck. It helps to rinse off when needed in this case it was taking the old paint off. Crash barrel with a hood panel suspended I normally use a whole box of washing soda mixed in a bucket with hot water cleaned metal needs to be protected from flash rust. I use rebar or whatever metal I have for sacrificial anode.
Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread