woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
People occasionally post wanting to know how to tell a counterfeit from the genuine article. There are two good answers, but they're answers the people doing the asking usually don't like.

1. Buy through factory authorized distribution.

2. The factory cannot give you reliable information how to tell a counterfeit from the real thing.

Item #2 deserves a bit of explanation since it's not necessarily obvious to everyone. Manufacturers who are having to fight counterfeiters have to keep changing the product and/or the anti-counterfeiter strategies, because the counterfeiters work hard and fast to make it difficult for a customer to tell the difference between a counterfeit and the real thing. If I were to tell you "a real Fisher GB Pro looks like this", by the time I'm telling you that, there may be counterfeits which have copied that, and I'd be describing a counterfeit! ........Also, the industry is developing anti-counterfeiting measures which are not physical characteristics of the product, but which relate to authentication measures. In most cases, the factory does not disclose the details of the authentication measures beyond what is necessary for the authorized distribution chain to utilize the authentication measures.

Counterfeits are illegal merchandise, contraband. Any counterfeit that arrives at the factory for any reason will be confiscated, and questions will be asked.

--Dave J.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So right you are Dave. Many ask if such and such is a good detector mainly because they like the lower price. That still doesn't guaranty that the POS is any good. Buy only from our major manufactures!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well buying a used detector, I would say ask for the serial number to check with the maker if it is valid, if the seller gets bent out of shape and refuses to give it to you..well thats a big red flag.
take my local craigslist, there is somebody selling a gpx and has been selling them over the last 10 months or so, the person slowly drops the price untill it is sold, then the ad pops back up awhile later at the price he asks for...who knows might even be somebody on here, I have tried to get a serial number out of them sellers a bunch of times, but I always get the same reply...f-off mostly.
this below is the ad, I'll take out contact info since that would be wrong.

Below is an example from craigs..this is NOT my ad...just an example.

for sale i have a brand new minelab gpx 5000, eveything is factory sealed. box was opened to show indies of box, but all contents inside are sealed, the gpx 5000 is the best gld detector in the would and retails forn $6000, i am open to some teades but i want 4200 obo cash, no low ballers, its comes with everything in stranderd package. all coils, headphones battery, box ect...you can not find one cheaper, either email me at ******* at gmail com oe text ***** i usualy am working to text is best**

Ok then, search youtube for..fake minelab and watch the top few.
Hopefully this info will keep anybody from being scammed.

THIS is where the scammers get their fakes..and well it pisses me off.

Gpx-5000 Mobile Metal Detector,Underground Gold Detector,Ground Search Gold Detecting Machine Gpx5000/gpx 5000 - Buy Mobile Metal Detector,Underground Deep Search Gold Detector,Deep Search Gold Detector Product on Alibaba.com

Mike

OP
OP
W

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
BC1969, you've just provided an excellent example of why manufacturers who are having to fight off counterfeit fraudsters do a very unsatisfying job of disclosing how to know a counterfeit from the real thing. The freelancer on the end of the counterfeit distribution chain is typically clueless as to what relevance a serial number may or may not have when it comes to authentication, and we intend to keep the crook as stupid as possible.

Great post. Thank you.

--Dave J.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave, would calling first Texas to verify a serial number on a used product cause too much of a head ache on the company? My F2 was bought used, and I have pondered the idea of verification.

OP
OP
W

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
To my knowledge the F2 hasn't been counterfeited.

In the case of products which have been counterfeited, the counterfeits often bear serial numbers which are valid serial numbers.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
W

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. I wouldn't use the word "replicated", however (I doubt they've done that), "counterfeited" is a better word.

If someone wants to know how to tell the difference between the real and the counterfeit, we can't say because not even we know. Haven't seen the counterfeit and the counterfeiter ingrates haven't PM'ed us with that info. What I can tell y'all is how to get the real thing: buy through authorized distribution.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
W

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
In principle, the factory can verify that a serial number is valid. What the factory can't do is to tell you who manufactured the product you found the serial number on.

With some manufacturers and some products, serial numbers are part of a broader system of validation for use within the authorized distribution chain, and if you call customer service asking questions about serial numbers you're not going to get an answer.

If you want to know what you're getting, buy through authorized distribution.

--Dave J.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
10-4, good advise.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In other words guys, if you buy used from a person you don't know, you could be buying a counterfeit fake. The person selling it might not know it is a knock off. He only knows he doesn't want it anymore, the reason might be it sucks.

So bottom line is to buy new from a dealer which is in the authorized distribution. Try to buy from a dealer like Bart of Big Boys Hobbies. http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/ :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

F-75Pilot

Greenie
Jan 4, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-6,F-75,cz-20. Garrett AT Gold. Minelab Explorer II. Whites MXT. Nothing beats the F-75.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on application

Sandman, what detected do you think is best up to the task? First, surf hunting. Second, coin hunting on land in the Midwest. Thanks, Ron

F-75Pilot

Greenie
Jan 4, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-6,F-75,cz-20. Garrett AT Gold. Minelab Explorer II. Whites MXT. Nothing beats the F-75.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BC1969, How do you like your Minelab? Have you ever tried the F-75?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
My minelab is rather complicated, bought andy sabisch book on it, and that made a world of difference, for target separation it is incredible, that and you had better have rechargeable batteries, because it eats them, the audio will make you insane at first, but it really becomes beneficial after you get used to it..about the only complaint I have with it, is it is very susceptible to EMI..to the point that it cannot be used, never tried any fishers other than my old school one, which I finally got fixed, it may be an antique, but it works as well as any other machines I have used it around, and EMI well it only has trouble around high tension power lines..I would be really happy to get my hands on the older spectrum xlt.
or one of the older cz quick silvers..I hear the F75 can be rather complicated, but then again so is my explorer, but you know what they say, you only get out of something, what you are willing to put into it.

Mike

F-75Pilot

Greenie
Jan 4, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Mike, the F-75 is so easy to use if someone who knows how to use it tutors you. If that makes any sense. The audio on the Minelab makes me sick! It does find things in certain areas where other machines miss. I live just north of Chicago, and have some pretty decent sites. Let me know if you want to detect? This is the first year I couldn't detect in December! I found 112 silver coins and quite a few good non coin finds in 2013. A strong 1919-D standing liberty quarter and an 18K with 75 diamonds women's bangle. Small diamonds. I live close to an old military base.Fort Sheridan. It's been a great site! Do you think there are some detecting opportunities in and around Detroit? Or is it too dangerous?

Ron

nycwalter

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I woulda never guessed counterfit detectors. Damn, is nothing sacred?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
In principle, the factory can verify that a serial number is valid. What the factory can't do is to tell you who manufactured the product you found the serial number on. With some manufacturers and some products, serial numbers are part of a broader system of validation for use within the authorized distribution chain, and if you call customer service asking questions about serial numbers you're not going to get an answer. If you want to know what you're getting, buy through authorized distribution. --Dave J.
Dave is right the factory can verify the serial number ………… But that will not help you for the ones that make counterfeit detectors also will put good serial numbers on the detectors….. The serial number on your detector could be on a counterfeit detector also………...

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am surprised too about counterfeit F2's...wouldn't have thought enough profit to bother on that one. On second thought there's lots of fake pin pointers out there at less money.

The problem could easily be lessened if customs officals were as diligent about "what" was being imported, as they are in collecting the duties. Oh well like so many other problems...no profit in that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread