Could there be Pyramids in Texas?

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
About 20 years ago while working part time for a moving company we where loading the trucks when I noticed a large hand drawn map hanging on the wall of a lady we were helping to move. When I asked her about it she said it was a map of a cave system on a mountain behind the house that her father had spent his life mapping. Being young I remember thinking that had to be a huge cave. She said her father never did finish mapping it before he died. Anyway years have passed and I never did hear anything else about this hill and figured if there was something there it would be front page news. Although everytime I have ever passed I would look at this hill and wonder and think something just looks different about this place. Well I was messing around with some of the new aerial imagery we have nowadays and remembered this place and thought I would have a look. Now I am really fascinated with this place. The appearance of the rocks seem very much man made. I thought it might be worth a post. Dare we wonder?

Attachments

• cavern.jpg
    cavern.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2,297
  • cavern2.jpg
    cavern2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,871
  • cavern3.jpg
    cavern3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,720
  • cavern4.jpg
    cavern4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,685

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks really interesting! Let us know if you get to go up there.

Upvote 0

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where in Texas is this?

Upvote 0

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hola amigos,

Pretty interesting stuff - thank you for posting it! Yes there could be pyramids in Texas, which would most likely have been built by the so-called "Mound Buildershttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mound_builder_(people)" culture, which has several subdivisions (Adena, Hopewell, Mississippian etc) most of their structures were mounded earth, but they did build earth-pyramids and were active in at least part of Texas. Perhaps if they had access to stone, they built structures of stone? Here is a map of the Mississippian culture (and related) which includes part of Texas
626px-Mississippian_cultures_HRoe_2010.jpg

...anyway not saying that MUST be what you have there, just one possibility; but it is possible that there are pyramids in Texas!

I hope you will keep us posted with your research into this, thank you in advance.
Oroblanco

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irbaddadjoe

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
Heres a few pics with more 3D. It is in North Central Texas.

Attachments

• cavern5.jpg
    cavern5.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,165
  • cavern6.jpg
    cavern6.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,667
  • cavern7.jpg
    cavern7.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,534
Upvote 0

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Looks more like pyramids to me! It sure can't hurt to check it out - if it is purely natural, you should be able to find out pretty easily right? Thank you again,
Oroblanco

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a defended hill fort to me.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
old fortified type hill fort--city maybe -- thus a man made structure * ---clearly worth checking out --if there caves (under ground water supply in case of attack ?) there might be some very interesting things in them.

Upvote 0

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting.
It really does resemble a type of "Hill Fort"

Cool thread!

Types of hill fort

Beyond the simple definition of hill fort, there is a wide variation in types and periods from the Bronze Age to the Middle Ages. Here are some considerations of general appearance and topology, which can be assessed without archaeological excavation:

o Hilltop Contour: the classic hill fort; an inland location with a hilltop defensive position surrounded by artificial ramparts or steep natural slopes. Examples: Brent Knoll, Mount Ipf.
o Inland Promontory: an inland defensive position on a ridge or spur with steep slopes on 2 or 3 sides, and artificial ramparts on the level approaches. Example: Lambert's Castle.
o Interfluvial: a promontory above the confluence of two rivers, or in the bend of a meander. Example: Kelheim.
o Lowland: an inland location without special defensive advantages (except perhaps marshes), but surrounded by artificial ramparts; typical of later settled oppida. Examples: Maiden Castle, Stonea Camp.
o Sea Cliff: a semi-circular crescent of ramparts backing on to a straight sea cliff; common on rocky Atlantic coasts, such as Ireland. Examples: Daw's Castle, Dinas Dinlle, Dún Aengus.
o Sea Promontory: a linear earthwork across a narrow neck of land leading to a peninsula with steep cliffs to the sea on three sides; common on indented Atlantic coasts, such as Ireland, Cornwall, Brittany and west Wales. Examples: The Rumps, Huelgoat.
o Sloping Enclosure: smaller earthwork on gently sloping hillsides; not significant defensive position. Examples: Trendle Ring, Plainsfield Camp.

Here's a big one on the UK

Attachments

• AWDS_hill_forts004.jpg
    AWDS_hill_forts004.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,429
Upvote 0

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Well it is interesting, and if it was in the UK I would say hill fort, but...

if you look in the trees, you will see a natural rock outcrop all around the hill. Trees and rocks together probably mean a water-resistant layer below them, meaning any moisture inside the hilltop flows out to the edges where the trees grow. If you look around, you will no doubt find similar rock outcrops on hills, just less dramatic.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Very interesting.
It really does resemble a type of "Hill Fort"

Cool thread!

Types of hill fort

Beyond the simple definition of hill fort, there is a wide variation in types and periods from the Bronze Age to the Middle Ages. Here are some considerations of general appearance and topology, which can be assessed without archaeological excavation:

o Hilltop Contour: the classic hill fort; an inland location with a hilltop defensive position surrounded by artificial ramparts or steep natural slopes. Examples: Brent Knoll, Mount Ipf.
o Inland Promontory: an inland defensive position on a ridge or spur with steep slopes on 2 or 3 sides, and artificial ramparts on the level approaches. Example: Lambert's Castle.
o Interfluvial: a promontory above the confluence of two rivers, or in the bend of a meander. Example: Kelheim.
o Lowland: an inland location without special defensive advantages (except perhaps marshes), but surrounded by artificial ramparts; typical of later settled oppida. Examples: Maiden Castle, Stonea Camp.
o Sea Cliff: a semi-circular crescent of ramparts backing on to a straight sea cliff; common on rocky Atlantic coasts, such as Ireland. Examples: Daw's Castle, Dinas Dinlle, Dún Aengus.
o Sea Promontory: a linear earthwork across a narrow neck of land leading to a peninsula with steep cliffs to the sea on three sides; common on indented Atlantic coasts, such as Ireland, Cornwall, Brittany and west Wales. Examples: The Rumps, Huelgoat.
o Sloping Enclosure: smaller earthwork on gently sloping hillsides; not significant defensive position. Examples: Trendle Ring, Plainsfield Camp.

Here's a big one on the UK
Stop showing my sites Mike :laughing9:

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irbaddadjoe

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
bigcypresshunter said:
Did you find the caves?

No.I wish I could. I do not have access to the property. It just been in the last few years that I have really started to take more notice in the past. Im trying to find out who owns the property without being to intrusive to anyone. People deserve their privacy and dont want to be that pesty neighbor that shows up with no invitation. As I said earlier , if there really is that large cave network below it that I personaly saw a map that was once said to be that. I have lived here all my life and have never heard a whisper of it. In that case its assumable its its been a tight kept family secret. That keeps me from walking up to the front door.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I thought of was early an Indian settlement. The fact there is a cave there close by kinda' strengthens my notion. I'm sure if there was a large cavern the Indians were aware of it as those were the places the early ones looked for to settle. They also built mounds and considered them holy places worthy of protecting. And the high spot would prove an ideal advantage point to defend a settlement. I have spent a lot of time outdoors in my life and I can't recall any places that would appear that way in nature without a helping hand from man. I think you probably have an interesting archiological location there. I am puzzled that no one has examined and documented it extensively in the past. I would be very interested in your posting if you did same. Monty

Upvote 0

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
irbaddadjoe said:
Heres a few pics with more 3D. It is in North Central Texas.

I'm in that area also... I also just found out there could of been Mayan activity in Texas... something to consider...

Chukers

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread