Civil War relic identification book ?

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Of the books currently in print, a good starter might be Civil War Artifacts - A Guide for the Historian by Howard R. Crouch.

For relic values, try the North South Trader Civil War Collector’s Price Guide.

OP
OP
Hutch911

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks !

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PBK said:
Of the books currently in print, a good starter might be Civil War Artifacts - A Guide for the Historian by Howard R. Crouch.

Crouch's has helped me alot....Best of Luck to Ya!!

rovnrbl

May 26, 2003
Also try Francis Lord's Civil War Collector's Encyclopedias - several volumes. There's a couple more - THE ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF AMERICAN CIVIL WAR RELICS By Steven W. Sylvia & Michael J. O'Donnell

EXCAVATED ARTIFACTS-FROM BATTLEFIELDS AND CAMPSITES OF THE CIVIL WAR 1861-1865 By Stanley S. Phillips

EXCAVATED ARTIFACTS-FROM BATTLEFIELDS AND CAMPSITES OF THE CIVIL WAR 1861-1865 SUPPLEMENT I
By Stanley S. Phillips

OP
OP
Hutch911

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone now new question whats the best book for Artillery shell and fuse ID

Thanks

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Hutch911 said:
Thanks everyone now new question whats the best book for Artillery shell and fuse ID

Field Artillery Projectiles of the American Civil War by Thomas S. Dickey & Peter George

Introduction to Field Artillery Ordnance, 1861-1865 by Jack W. Melton, Jr. & Lawrence E. Pawl

Artillery Fuses of the Civil War by Charles H. Jones

OP
OP
Hutch911

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks !

OP
OP
Hutch911

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
so fare I have not found a full shell just bits and pieces and the bottom of a hotchkiss with the flame groves and 2 friction fuse one used one complet but the site I'm working I hope one will turn up.

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
I am glad this topic came up now, I was just given permission to hunt a site that the house was used as a hospital during the Civil War, and possibly a battle site nearby. The house is "restored" to its original state long ago, and they told me how hard it was to re-do the hardwood floors because of all the stains... blood. I too am looking for a book that would identify some of the potential finds, and todays trip to Barnes and Noble was no help.. Thank you all HH Joe

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
Update, just ordered 'Civil War Artifacts - A Guide for the Historian by Howard R. Crouch' from Amazon. With shipping I think it was $49 ish. Thank you all HH Joe

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
civilman1 said:
PBK said:

Crouch's has helped me alot....Best of Luck to Ya!!

I "think" he has a new one coming out soon.. I'll double check on that... met him at the last relic show in Northern Virginia... he is a really nice guy...

MonkeBoy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread