74.2 KB · Views: 2,362

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh man, that could be good! Definitely Navy but whose??? Ashlee are you near an ocean or large river? Great find no matter where you are!!
Mike :wink:

OP
OP
A

ashlee1228

Feb 29, 2008
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brnn: no ocean for about a 45 minute car ride, there is a large river about 5 miles away, however my great x4 grandfather whom served in the civil war as a captian, lived on the land that i live on now, im assuming thats where the buckles came from. there was never any action on the land, the closest was the battle of Natural Bridge, but im not positive if he was there.
http://www.floridastateparks.org/naturalbridge/History.cfm

ive been told it's a Marine buckle and that the front is blank because the owner was enlisted, therefore no decoration. I've heard this from many different sources (state archives, several experts, etc) so i until i hear otherwise im inclined to believe it.
there was also a CSA buckle that was found in the same field that is in even better shape, however i seem to have misplaced it so ill post that one when i find it... again.

i have not been able to find anything that looks like this... yet, so if im wrong please correct me

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Actually, that looks like a British Royal Navy crossbelt (shoulder belt) plate from the War of 1812.

Great find! :thumbsup:

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you've done some research and that always makes the finds that much more special. You gotta find that CSA buckle and show us! As you probably know, they can be worth some serious cash but if your ancestor wore it, then it would be priceless to you. I love finding relics on my family farm. Most of what I post are found here and it really stirs the imagination when you find a really nice piece. Good luck to you and post what you find good and bad!
HH!
Mike :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
A

ashlee1228

Feb 29, 2008
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pbk- if thats what it is then no wonder i havent been able to find another one! do you have a visual i could see? i tried a little to find an image last night but i didnt have any luck.

some one also mentioned it could be from the Seminole war, which my ancestor was at. havent checked yet but its worth a shot...

still trying to find the CSA buckle. Im like a squirrel, i put stuff up and then i cant remember where i put it. :icon_scratch:

thank you all! :D

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
I'd say its older then the civil war looks 1840's or earlier to me? Nice find though, can I have it?! ;D

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Great find,any belt buckle pre,post or during the civil war in any shape is a remarkable find.Congratulation!!!!!!!

fortbball9

OP
OP
A

ashlee1228

Feb 29, 2008
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
plehbah said:
I am agreeing with PBK. The front is not blank, as you can clearly see the stamped impression of the fouled anchor on the reverse, or inside of the artifact. The blank obverse is merely the result of wear.

That is a British plate from the War of 1812. That is an excellent find. Many people search far and wide for such nice insignia.

Where is that C.S.A. buckle?

Nevermind......

Nice finds!

its not blank from wear, its blank because it was an enlisted mans buckle, therefore the insignia is on the inside... needless to say it was a VERY nice surprise when we turned it over :D

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280/Anderson Detector shaft modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its not blank from wear, its blank because it was an enlisted mans buckle, therefore the insignia is on the inside... needless to say it was a VERY nice surprise when we turned it over :D

Hi, Nice plate. Do you still have it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions