Changing the Brake Pads on the CTX

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my CTX since Memorial Day 2012, and the shaft cam locks ("brake pads") have finally worn themselves down that it is affecting my happiness while detecting. The lower rods barely hit the sidewall with the cam lock engaged, causing the coil to wobble and rotate as it pleases. This is due to over 10.5 years of heavy use and abuse, countless falls while holding my machine, and the occasional occurrence of using the CTX to flick away a snake, stray child, or other equally dangerous creature.

Thanks to the exorbitant cost and unavailability of Minelab replacement parts, getting a new cam lock was out of the question. I have used small squares of tape in the past as a band-aid solution, but those last one trip at most and I needed something more permanent. I decided to spray my lower rods with the coating-in-a-can stuff along the place where the cam would engage the shaft, and also spurt some goo onto the cam lock pads as well. This effectively replaced the "brake pads" and cured my wobbly lower rod problem. Now to see how much use and abuse this fix can withstand.

Attachments

• IMG_20221228_134229494.jpg
    IMG_20221228_134229494.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did repair center say the cost was to replace the cam pads?

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidMoTreasure

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did repair center say the cost was to replace the cam pads?
Honestly, I didn't ask this time. I can't imagine it would have been less than the few spurts of coat-em that I spent. Last time I contacted them was back in 2017 for a loose upper shaft, and they quoted me $150 plus shipping. I sighed and used a piece of rubber to fix it. I also have screen bleed issues that I am powering through because of what others have shared to be the repair center cost for a screen replacement.

But I will ask to make sure. I have a second 11" coil with a broken coil wire that I am curious to see if it is worth it to get repaired.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread