Carribbean shipwrecks

creatmosfairy

Aug 29, 2008
Hello,

The 2 shipwrecks are in mexican waters in the 24 miles area and is under protection of the INAH underwater archaeology department MX.

The story goes:
one spanish ship was wrecked and short time later one other ship(from a foreign country) arrived at the spot and salvaged 100.000 coins and other good from the wreck. The second ship also wrecked short time later after his recovery operation. The coins were lost in the second wreck. The crew was driven 5 days in his boat, than he arrived land.
The place of the wrecksites are a diving spots/ shoals with nice sealife/ divetour can booked
The 2 wrecks are not found to this day.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thats a good one, protecting wrecks, but know one knows were they are, surley you need to find them before you can protect them, and what does protect mean in the context of a shipwreck, what action are they taking to protect these wrecks, surley it is not the pyshical wreck they mean, it is the history and archaeology they need to put on the recored, to do that they will need to destroy parts of the wreck, archaeology is a destructive process, dig into somthing and its gone, but you will have put it on the record, thats the best way to protect history record it.
If you say no one can touch it or go near it them youve lost the chance to recored and presurve the historical value of the wreck for future generation, leaving what remins it to rot into the seabed. Protecting somthing you have not found makes no sense, people need to be proactive, these ships need to found and placing any type of restrictions on members of the general public in terms of those would give up there free time to locate the ships is conter productive, they should look to give evey one the opertunity to be involved at every level, the law needs to be inclusive of all members of socity not exclude people who dont hold a qulifaction in archaeology.

Last edited:

Keg1717

Greenie
Oct 25, 2021
Thats a good one, protecting wrecks, but know one knows were they are, surley you need to find them before you can protect them, and what does protect mean in the context of a shipwreck, what action are they taking to protect these wrecks, surley it is not the pyshical wreck they mean, it is the history and archaeology they need to put on the recored, to do that they will need to destroy parts of the wreck, archaeology is a destrutive process, dig into somthing and its gone, but you will have put it on the record, thats the best way to protect history record it.
If you say no one can touch it or go near it them youve lost the chance to recored and presurve the historical value of the wreck for future generation, leaving what remins it to rot into the seabed. Protecting somthing you have not found makes no sense, people need to be proactive, these ships need to found and placing any type of restrictions on members of the general public in terms of those would give up there free time to locate the ships is conter productive, they should look to give evey one the opertunity to be involved at every level, the law needs to be inclusive of all members of socity not exclude people who dont hold a qulifaction in archaeology.
Hi I got a question? I found a 1700s shipwreck in waters off New England I’ve been trying to find what I need to do but can’t get a straight answer. Any help will be appreciated.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Firstly, you need to comply with all of New England laws that exist concerning historical shipwrecks. So that means you need to find out what the law and regulation are relating to your discovery.

Once you have that knowledge then you need to produce a document to open a proper line of communication with relevant authorities. That is those you need permission from to survey and record or excavate and recover artifacts form the shipwreck site.

At all times your mind set should be to put your discovery on the archaeological record, therefore you need to include how you will survey record and publish your expedition findings, making than available to the American and international community as learning resource.

If you wish to sell artifacts that might be bit more complicated, however under UNESCO, s own compliance guidelines this is possible, New England probably has maritime laws that may although the sale of artifacts, once they are recorded that should not be a concern, but you know how complicated the world is today.

I would not try to claim the wreck under the Law of finds, unless your 100% sure no one own the wreck or any of its contents, if an owner turns up, they get 100% of what is theirs, and you’re kicked off with no compensation.

Salvor in possession give you the right to salvage the on behalf of the owner, they are entitled to 20% of the recovery, you get 80%. In maritime law ownership is protected a law that give you right to salvage on their behalf is very powerful. I am not up on US laws; they seem to change state to state and within the three-mile limit then federal law is it to 8 miles?

Anyway this is just my thoughts if I can help let me know, I have lot of information and can help you with project plans and the proper process of communication.

marconi beach

Jun 28, 2015
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Firstly, you need to comply with all of New England laws that exist concerning historical shipwrecks. So that means you need to find out what the law and regulation are relating to your discovery.

Once you have that knowledge then you need to produce a document to open a proper line of communication with relevant authorities. That is those you need permission from to survey and record or excavate and recover artifacts form the shipwreck site.

At all times your mind set should be to put your discovery on the archaeological record, therefore you need to include how you will survey record and publish your expedition findings, making than available to the American and international community as learning resource.

If you wish to sell artifacts that might be bit more complicated, however under UNESCO, s own compliance guidelines this is possible, New England probably has maritime laws that may although the sale of artifacts, once they are recorded that should not be a concern, but you know how complicated the world is today.

I would not try to claim the wreck under the Law of finds, unless your 100% sure no one own the wreck or any of its contents, if an owner turns up, they get 100% of what is theirs, and you’re kicked off with no compensation.

Salvor in possession give you the right to salvage the on behalf of the owner, they are entitled to 20% of the recovery, you get 80%. In maritime law ownership is protected a law that give you right to salvage on their behalf is very powerful. I am not up on US laws; they seem to change state to state and within the three-mile limit then federal law is it to 8 miles?

Anyway this is just my thoughts if I can help let me know, I have lot of information and can help you with project plans and the proper process of communication.
I am the archaeologist for 3 sites in Massachusetts. Each state in the US has their own laws and Mass happens to be about the best. You need to know which state the wreck is in. I live in R.I. and they claim everything unfortunately. Let me know more details and I can give you some advice. I was the first archaeologist on the Whydah and still consult on it to this day.

Whydah diver

Keg1717

Greenie
Oct 25, 2021
I am the archaeologist for 3 sites in Massachusetts. Each state in the US has their own laws and Mass happens to be about the best. You need to know which state the wreck is in. I live in R.I. and they claim everything unfortunately. Let me know more details and I can give you some advice. I was the first archaeologist on the Whydah and still consult on it to this day.

Whydah diver
Hi i contacted your museum several time an asked for help . The last time was last week. Like when I sent them the location of the wine schooner that sunk with the whydah . I live in RI to maybe we could meet and talk

Keg1717

Greenie
Oct 25, 2021
You talking about the Marianne?
Yes sent them images with location a couple years ago . Then updated pics last month. Not much left of it . That’s the 2019 pic .if you want the location I ll send it to you no good to me.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 17

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Be worth looking into it, but id do that on your behalf, free, keep your information to yourself, might be the case that you could develop a project around this. Don’t need the position but would be good to have the details of your own involvement, what research you have, any historical background, once I check the law then we could build a project plan and business case around this.

I have a good group of people and if was worth doing they would look at it, PM me and well see, how fare we can take this, might fall at the first legal hurdle, but worth a look.

Keg1717

Greenie
Oct 25, 2021
Be worth looking into it, but id do that on your behalf, free, keep your information to yourself, might be the case that you could develop a project around this. Don’t need the position but would be good to have the details of your own involvement, what research you have, any historical background, once I check the law then we could build a project plan and business case around this.

I have a good group of people and if was worth doing they would look at it, PM me and well see, how fare we can take this, might fall at the first legal hurdle, but worth a look.
Hi after talking with people it’s a much bigger project than I can do . Are you near Rhode Island.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread