Camp Loco name

froggy

Jan 18, 2008
Canyon Del Oro, Arizona
How did Camp Loco get its name

There's a site on the Tubac topo, in Santa Cruz County, Arizona that's been driving me nuts: Camp Loco. No history but it's on the maps. It's deep in headhunter country. The area is filled with illegal and drug smugglers.

What’s the ‘story’? Is it part of the Tumacacori Mission lost mines? La Virgen de Guadalupe; La Purisima Concepcion; La Opata’s Mine; and others.

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
froggy said:
How did Camp Loco get its name

It's deep in headhunter country. The area is filled with illegal and drug smugglers.

Loco=crazy- u answered ur own question! :laughing7:

Cachefinder-

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Froggy,

I know this is an old topic, but while looking for something different online, I found this thread.

The name "Camp Loco" is associated with the Jesuit Treasure of the Mission of Tumacacori.

Here is the story:

One of the older stories regarding the area of Tumacacori Mt (Peck/Javelina Canyons) is that there is a hidden treasure there. The clues to find the treasure are: "On an Eastern facing cliff will be what looks like a large butterfly head on the right side. Follow the direction of the butterfly, and you will find a very narrow canyon. At the mouth of this canyon is a rock formation that looks like a tall skinny man. Go into this canyon and you will find a face on a cliff. This face looks right at where the treasure is buried."

Around the turn of the century, a black cowboy (nobody remembers his real name) after getting out of the military, moved to that spot to search for the treasure. He dug all over the place. Every day he dug he always saw a Big Horn Sheep watching him from cliffs above. Eventually, he started going a little nuts thinking that the Bighorn was the spirit of a dead Jesuit Priest. He shot and killed the Bighorn and eventually grew extremely remorseful over the killing. He never left that canyon. All his supplies were brought to him every couple of weeks by some cowboys from a nearby ranch. They saw how whacky he was getting and told the local sheriff. They all went back out to the camp and the cowboy attacked them forcing them to shoot and kill him.

From then on, the place was called Camp Loco.

Best-Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread