bruce01364

Apr 30, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Posted this on the General Discussion forum but have no replies so trying here. I found a George Washington inaugural button and would like to know where to get it cleaned/restored. I saw some earlier posts mentioning Leonard Smart. I emailed him but have had no response. Does anyone know if he is still working? If not then does anyone know of someone else to contact about restoration?

OP
OP
bruce01364

bruce01364

Apr 30, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply but my button has some verdigris and the link you posted does not show a remedy for that. I posted a picture when I first found it but will post here again. It is in decent shape but thinking of selling it and believe a professional cleaning/restoration would increase the value. Was hoping to find someone who knew how to do that as I've seen posts of items sent to be restored and were ruined instead. Looking for someone that has a good reputation for restoring relics.

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

On the front view you can see some verdigris by the eagles neck but it I don't see it on the back side. Which makes me think this button can be restored to a much better condition. Because if it's history and value I'd much rather have someone that knows how to restore it than try to do it myself.

OP
OP
bruce01364

bruce01364

Apr 30, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I received an email from Leonard Short and he is still working. Thanks for the reply.

G

gman17

Looks good as is to me, I would rather buy one like that than a cleaned or restored one, but that's just me.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion if you mess with it, you will lessen the value. Good looking button as it is. As they say down home, if I want a NEW one, I can buy a new one. The coloration gives it it's character.

OP
OP
bruce01364

bruce01364

Apr 30, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the verdigris in the top left quarter will get worse if not taken care of. I can't find anything online about the value of buttons that have been restored. If anyone knows would they point me in the right direction.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you keep it dry and at room temperature, you won't have a problem. Price on yours, compared to other recent sales on Ebay over $1000 to almost $3000.00 .

You just have to have a buyer. It seems to me all the collectibles markets are down right now.

OP
OP
bruce01364

bruce01364

Apr 30, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies. I have to agree that restoration may decrease it's value. Although I did find a reference to a couple of buttons that had minor restoration and still sold for a good amount of money. I'll have to do some more research and get some professional opinions if I can before making a decision.
Thanks

Feb 24, 2017
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
Other
How to clean off verdigris from Sebastian Abel on Livery Buttons Jan 2017 (@)

Many of them are 'rich' with green verdigris. A decay that can and will harm the button. In this case I had no choice but to clean these two, so I took before and after pictures.
Here is what I did. I used White vinegar and a dash of salt in a coffee mug, put the buttons in so that they are completely covered, wait 30 min, took a toothbrush to scrub the verdigris off, rise, dry, wipe down with a thin coat of mineral oil.
I use what I use because its all food safe, and I have lots of kids running around my house. If you use this method, DO NOT forget about it and let it sit for 24 hours (or more)... it will eat the plating off the button. I won't go into how I know that...

this is from a friend on a Livery Button group. As we are very careful about how Livery buttons are cleaned I believe this will help you.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Many of them are 'rich' with green verdigris. A decay that can and will harm the button. In this case I had no choice but to clean these two, so I took before and after pictures.
Here is what I did. I used White vinegar and a dash of salt in a coffee mug, put the buttons in so that they are completely covered, wait 30 min, took a toothbrush to scrub the verdigris off, rise, dry, wipe down with a thin coat of mineral oil.
I use what I use because its all food safe, and I have lots of kids running around my house. If you use this method, DO NOT forget about it and let it sit for 24 hours (or more)... it will eat the plating off the button. I won't go into how I know that...

this is from a friend on a Livery Button group. As we are very careful about how Livery buttons are cleaned I believe this will help you.

The dangers of submerging a button in a vinegar solution is that vinegar is an acid and along with removing the verdigris it will also remove the button's patina. One should be aware of this when using this cleaning method. If it was I and the button demanded this method of cleaning, I would soak the button in a solution of baking soda and distilled water after the vinegar process to neutralize the acid left in the pores of the button. Then I would soak the button in plain distilled water to try to bring it to a neutral PH. After it was dry I would then apply the mineral oil. Just sayin.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Big difference between a button that has plating and one that doesn't.

Try soaking the plated ones in lemon juice with a little brushing. It's very effective. (I've cleaned hundreds of livery buttons)

As for the GW button in question, the spots of corrosion will never be an issue, and even if so, it's mot like it's going to be something that could happen over night... you'd have to put it away for a decade... and even then I highly doubt it would change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread