Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I started detecting Indian War sites a few years ago I soon learned that bullets were one of the most common finds. But, I also learned it can be a job identifying bullets. Some of the bullets were also used during the Civil War and I was able to find them in the popular Thomas & Thomas handbook. Most of those were used in muzzleloaders and early metallic cartridges. But, as metallic cartridges became more prevalent the sources for identifying the bullets became harder to find. Lately I've been able to connect with Jim Thomas, one of the authors of the T&T handbook, and, as time allows, he's been helping me identify some of these bullets. So I thought I'd pass on that knowledge so there'll be an online source to help others. Here's the key to my posts. If the images have multiple bullets shown they'll be of the same type. The diameter and length measurements will be from the bullet with the least deformity. The weight will be an average of the number of bullets shown. If they are shown in the T&T handbook I'll also include their designator number. Keep in mind, quality control back then wasn't as precise as it is now, so measurements might not match your bullets exactly. Plus, some of these bullets have been fired and some deformities are present. I hope this will be a valuable source for those who hunt these types of relics. This first set of photos is for the .58 caliber rifled musket bullet.

20231207_113347.jpg
20231207_113420.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread